Author Topic: little gasket between my 400's water pump and intake manifold  (Read 6643 times)

Offline TorqueKMA

i just bought one of summitracing's new 600 cfm carburetors that i wanted to bolt on to my stock 400 out of a 72 catalina that is sitting in my 79 ta. so i went online and bought an old edlebrock SP2P intake manifold for $100 (motor was originally a 2 barrel) and i bolted the assembly together. i did everything i knew to do, buying new gaskets and especially making sure that the little gromit between the water pump and intake got swapped. i even put the blue gasket maker around it for a seal, yet when i put it together and fired it up, i got radiator fluid pumping out onto my manifold. now i suppose it is possible that the gromit or what ever it is called is not the proper size as it barely comes out past the end of the intake. I even replaced the bolt that pulls the two pieces together. 1st of all, what is this piece called, and 2nd if need be where do i buy a larger one. the 2 barrel wasn't functioning so replacing it was a must. please help  :'( my baby needs to be run.

Offline rhino33

Re: little gasket between my 400's water pump and intake manifold
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
can someone post the proper procedure for installing the intake, I had a leak there too.
I got a new O ring in my engine gasket kit but didn`t silicone it, I think I was supposed to

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
The procedure is to first install the intake bolts on the side of the intake loosely.
Then tighten the timing chain cover to intake bolt (long skinny one in front) to 15 foot lbs.
Even though its not required, I always use a little rtv on the o-ring that goes in between the timing cover and the intake.
Finally torque the intake bolts evenly to 40 foot lbs.

Its important to tighten the front skinny bolt first and then the ones on the side of the intake.
This allows the intake to pull foward enough to seal the o-ring.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline bluebyu64gp

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »
X2 Eagle 1...it's a must, unless you like leaks of course!!!
David
76 T/A
USAF Retired

Offline TorqueKMA

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
well it turned out that the issue lied within the fact that i didn't torque the manifold down to specs and so i was losing both water and vacuum. so while bolting the intake down to 40 psi as suggested i heard a pop that turned out not to be the torque wrench but instead the cracking of my intake manifold. FML

Offline TorqueKMA

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!! what eagle 1 said is correct with the exception of the 40 ft lbs of torque bit. perhaps he is correct for iron heads i'm not certain but edlebrock aluminum intakes should receive no more than 25 foot lbs. or you will end up with a cracked manifold like myself.

Offline rhino33

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
I was wondering if we were supposed to put silicone on the gaskets to help seal the intake
sorry to hear about your intake cracking
I have the same luck lately

Offline dodgeram106

• T/A
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
X-3 Eagle 1........I only put a little gasket sealer around the water ports front and back of the gaskets and havent had any leaks.Good luck with the car. 8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:33:18 PM by dodgeram106 »

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
I have the 2156 intake and had a leak.  I got another O'ring  , cut a 3rd of it off . using the smaller I used some black RTV to glue the 2 together. and installed it the next day.  its going on 7 months now and no leaks.

77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!! what eagle 1 said is correct with the exception of the 40 ft lbs of torque bit. perhaps he is correct for iron heads i'm not certain but edlebrock aluminum intakes should receive no more than 25 foot lbs. or you will end up with a cracked manifold like myself.

Sorry about that, but the torque reference is for cast iron intakes.
I went back and double checked in the service manual it says 40 lbs, BUT under the torque specifications section it says 35 lbs.  I never noticed that, but I have always torqued mine to 40 lbs with no issues.
I'm guessing you did torque them down "evenly" (like I suggested) in some kind of pattern.  
I usually criss-cross starting from the middle and working my way out.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."