Author Topic: 78 Trans Am at Fletcher's Customs!! "Project TTTA", Pro touring, back halfed, C6  (Read 29713 times)

Offline fletcherscustoms

Just wanted to show you guys a new project just starting out at Fletcher's Customs. We wrapped up the remaining stuff on the FreedomBird project. And have moved onto this one. Its a 78 Trans Am owned by Doug Camburn out of SC. We have contracted with Doug to build the baddest Late 2nd Gen Trans Am on the planet! Car will be using a ton of prototype suspension, body panels, and lots of cool tricks that we have up our sleeves. We are starting with a nice builder 78 T/A that Doug has owned for quite some time. We have tore the car down, blasted and back in epoxy primer. Project TTTA "Triple Threat T/A" will be using a brand new suspension that was designed by our Buddys at Prodigy Customs in Orlando, FL and built by Art Morrison. The body will sport some custom prototype Carbon Fiber from Anvil Auto and Carbon Customs in Toronto. Motor details are a 535 ci Pontiac built by SD performance, based on a IA2 block, backed by T56 Magnum . More details coming soon.

Ben Hermance with Hermance Design has been contracted to do the design work. Our goal is mantain and keep the appeal of the car. But to do some subtle changes to make it stand out and to make it the best 78 in the country. Look for all sheetmetal air dam, rocker extensions, etc along with all the Carbon Fiber.

Here are a few pics of the car

Here it is while Doug was still driving it

The tear down and blasting

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:22:33 AM by fletcherscustoms »

Fletcher's Customs and Speed
Coolidge, GA
229-221-4690
chad@fletcherscustoms.com

Offline fletcherscustoms

The Heart of the beast pics!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:23:43 AM by fletcherscustoms »

Coolidge, GA
229-221-4690

Offline fletcherscustoms

The Custom Art Morrison 5 link rear suspension. This is the second one built my good buddy Frank at Prodigy Customs did the design and work with Art Morrison to make this a reality. He is installing the #1 unit into his 69 Camaro Project "Unfair". This will be the first one to be built for a 2nd gen F-body.

Couple of answers to questions I know will come up

-Removal of certain bars allows for different setups for road racing and drag racing

-That right there is a true no compromise road race 3 link set up when the upper outer bars are removed. That is also a true no compromise Drag Race 4 link (just like a Pro Stocker) when the upper center bar is removed! Quite honestly this is one of those things that is right in front of you no one saw it!

-A car with the ability to quickly (few hours) transform from a great autocross / road race car to a great drag car by moving some stuff around and swapping some easy to change Components (Read more later). The idea was for a suspension system with massive adjust ability.

-Does the car have to be Back halfed?- yes it does, you must remove rear rails, floors, etc. All will have to be fabricated once rear clip is installed. The first gen piece will not be back half job, only require removing rear frame rails and re welding new rail that are formed to fit factory floor.

-How big a tire can this handle? More then a notched factory frame as long as you do not use pre packaged tubs. The outer frame rails are 1" more narrow then the narrowest possible frame width with thinnest factory frame rail notch one can do. And what is so cool is you not only keep a full rail where you normally notch, but you have a stronger rail also. Our drag tires will be 345 / 35 / 18 Drag Radials with a section around 14.5"! So we will be making bigger mini tubs

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:25:25 AM by fletcherscustoms »

Coolidge, GA
229-221-4690

Offline fletcherscustoms

The front suspension is a Custom Subframe also from Art Morrison. It used C6 vette components and geometry with there custom rack, and custom subframe.

Heres a copy of Morrison's spill on it

Through use of a specially modified C6 spindle with lowered
steering arm mounting,the AGR power rack & pinion steering unit
is mounted some 2" lower in the frame,which allows for a lower
CG and improved handling.Big block, small block and LS-series
Chevy engines can be employed,as well as virtually any popular
automatic or manual transmission—including Richmond 5/6-speeds,
Tremec T56 and TKO, Muncie, Powerglide,TH-350 & 400, 700-
R4 and 4L60E—thanks to a series of available mounts.
Designed through use of FEA (finite element analysis) the 105 lb.
front clip has outstanding strength and stiffness, yet is
significantly lighter than the bulky OEM unit. With a reduced
unsprung weight, forged aluminum C6 Corvette control arms, a
shortened front view swing arm,modified caster,and adjustable
coil-over shocks, Morrison’s GT-Sport clip will provide awesome
handling. It comes with a near-stock tread width for optimum
wheel fitment opportunities,and can use a wider-than-stock tire
(265/35R18 tested).
As no cutting or welding is required,installing a GT-Sport clip
can be performed by most competent do-it-yourselfers in the
comfort of their own garage. With an aggressive, lower stance
and incredible handling characteristics, the look and “feel”of  a
Morrison GT-Sport Clip-equipped Camaro or Firebird is
unbeatable! It’s an investment that will pay huge dividends in fun
for years to come!

Coolidge, GA
229-221-4690

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Very nice

Offline Sir english firebird

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member. proud to be
Lovely work.

Oh for a " Blank Cheque book " .....
Power is nothing without Control.

Steve, :-)
1979 Trans am.

( no point in adding what else i keep changing them ! )

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
Thats is going to be a sweet ride.
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.

Offline ZachAttack77TA

• If it's not fast, it's not fun!
Man, that engine is BEAST! I got a feeling this thing is going rock.
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline BusDriver

Question about a 5-link... It seems like you couldn't run all 5, th 3rd link being shorter than the top links of the 4-link setup would bind during suspension fles, wouldn't it??

Offline fletcherscustoms

you are only running one of the two systems at a time. Either a parrallel 4 link with the top 3 link bar removed, or by removing the upper parrallel bars and running the upper 3 link bar for a true 3 link setup. You can't run all at the same time. This is just a ultimate setup for adjustability and playing

Coolidge, GA
229-221-4690

Offline bluebyu64gp

I live about 5 minutes from Art's place...I'm going to have to stop by and have a chat about my T/A!!! ;D
David
76 T/A
USAF Retired

Offline fletcherscustoms

Send you T/A to me and we can knock it out. I'm getting to be 2nd gen expert. With doing the Freedombird, my 70 camaro, and now this one

Coolidge, GA
229-221-4690

Offline Frode_skj

So will you work with Anvil Auto on this? Will there be 77-81 Carbon fiber hoods, fenders and doors? :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline Doug

Definitely doing a hood.  I am pretty sure Chad said Anvil had already started working on the late 70's hood and fenders before my car came up.  We may do fenders as well.  It all depends on how much we decide to mod the sides.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:45:51 PM by Doug »

Offline Frode_skj

It would be nice if everyone who wanted it could buy carbon fiber hoods and fenders ;) I know they are planning to make hood for the 70-76 :) and doors, but they fit for any year ?
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones