Author Topic: 78 Trans Am at Fletcher's Customs!! "Project TTTA", Pro touring, back halfed, C6  (Read 29712 times)

Offline Doug

A few more pics from Chad's cell phone. Engine and transmission finallygetting fitted to the car.  It looks like the engine will need to go back into the firewall several inches so it can drop in back of the rack and pinion.  More work but it should help with the handling a bit. The transmission crossmember is going to have to move back a few inches as well.   

Offline uk79transam

Definately some skills going on there, looking very cool.
This thread is inspirational 8)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
Good god that's sexy.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Doug

Transmission is a Tremec T56 Magnum Extreme from American Powertrain,  that is rated at a constant 1150ft/lbs of torque.

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/T56-Magnum.html

Offline Doug

The motor mounts and transmission mounts are now done.  We had to cut most of the firewall away and moved the motor back 12.25 inches.  Good thing I didn't want a back seat :-) 

The heavier Pontiac motor required building a cradle to support the weight that would be on the relocated mounts.  Tubes were installed in the new section to make it possible to get the control arm bolts.  It is now time to build the floors and firewall.  I finally see a car starting to emerge...

This first picture is a shocker!  I got a text from Chad saying... "Oops.. The plamas torch slipped."

You can see just how far back the engine sets now.

Newly built tranmisison crossmember

Motor mounts and new cradle to support the mounts.  You can see the tubes in the cradle to access the lower control arm rear bolts. Chad also built some supports to attach that add some strength to the mounting point for the back of the lower control arms.

View from the factory firewall location back..

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:50:59 PM by Doug »

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
Going to be interesting to see when thats put together your going to have to be awful tall to drive it. The shifter looks like it sits where the console box would be and the engine is setting inside the car. Maybe it's the angle of the pic  Reminds me of a van set up with the engine set back that far. Hats off to you for taking on such a large project I hope it all works out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:37:55 AM by 79ban1 »

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
First of all let me say that this is one incredible build. She is going to be amazing once finished. I'd also like to add that I do NOT have skills that would even remotely help ya'll do this build. At best I could only be a "wrench go-getter" With that said... I'd like to ask a question and I sure hope I don't step on any toes by doing so. Would it not have been easier to extend the subframe those 12 1/4 inches and then shorten the nose of the subframe to allow the sheet metal to go back on? Would that have made it too difficult to line up inner fenders/fenders, etc? Was there a drawback to dropping the R&P down a little to clear the engine? The only reason I ask is because of where the shifter is going to be with the engine so far back. Seems it would difficult to row the gears with the shifter behind your back?
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
Good point Tin Indian but from the looks of the pics the rack is positioned just right above the lower control arms so they couldn't move it down because of the lower control arm.

Offline Doug

All good comments and questions.   Keep in mind that the seat will not be in the stock position since there will be no back seats in this car.  It will be a true 2 seater.   The car will have a custom dash, pedals, steering column and seats so all that has been accounted for.  Although it could be made to fit a stock seating position even in it's current location.  That is because the Tremec T56 Maganum Extreme hasd 3 shifter  positions.  It is currently in the postion furtherst back because that is the way it shipped.    You can see the three postions outlined in red below.

As far as extending the subframe and then chopping it off, that would not have worked.  Keeping the wheels in the fender wells required the frame to fit as a stock 2nd gen f-body.  Moving the motor back is an way of helping balance the car for better handling.  These cars were always light in the rear and that caused handling issues.  Calculations now put the weight distribution in the 56/54 range.   The car has a roughly 5 /2 rocker height so it is going to be setting pretty low.  That is why we don't want anything hanging below the frame rails.   

We are using carbon fiber to replace all the front end sheetmetal to also help balance out the car further. 

The goal was to have a car that looked like the old 2nd gen but performed more like a modern super car.  Only time will tell if we hit our mark.  Having the 3 link and the 4 link will go a long way towards making the car competitive in multiple events.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:24:09 AM by Doug »

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Thank you for taking the time to answer. That transmission is really top shelf stuff. Pretty awesome that you can manipulate the shifter around like that. Do you have a complete date goal? I can't wait to see this beast finished.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline pkach

what happened to this build?

Offline NOT A TA

John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X