Author Topic: Slow wipers  (Read 2302 times)

Offline MybirdIStheword

Slow wipers
« on: April 10, 2016, 05:59:03 PM »
So, even on the fast setting, my wipers go at a pretty lethargic rate. I am going to try lubricating them and the usual. What I'm wondering is, is this normal? I had that issue with the wipers hitting off the hood, fixed it by shimming the spindle deeper into the body. Maybe my motor is having issues from that abuse? Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue before I go ripping everything apart.
Don't tell me you haven't heard. Everybody has.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Slow wipers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:18:01 PM »
Do you have the wipers on the right spline? It could be pulling up short on one end and forced to overrun on the other. Unless you have wiper heads that are too long, only if the congrugating arm and linkages are all worn out will it allow extra travel if everything else is correct.  Can't comment on the slow travel, as long as not comparing to a new car. Perhaps the wiper motor is on its way out or the blades overly worn and grabbing.

Offline MybirdIStheword

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:51:01 PM »
They should be on the right spindle, visually they line up fine. the  issue was one several other forum members have had, where either through age and wear or panel alignment the wiper arm sat too high on the spindle, resulting that the wiper arm would drag on the hood while cycling. I found getting slightly longer screws and glueing two stainless washers together to shim it deeper into the body was relatively easy.

I should probably get a stopwatch and see if it will be enough cycles per minute to pass inspection. I don't plan on driving this car in the rain for that to be a real issue.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
Another reason for hitting the hood was that some of the commonly available wiper heads claiming to fit these models, don't. The modern design puts them much higher than was designed even if they probably perform better. But if they are clear then the wiper motor won't know.

Offline MybirdIStheword

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
I have the correct original low profile blades.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:21:37 PM »
Not sure then. They should be a set height, the hood should have the height set by the cowl stops and fenders set off that too.

Offline 76Tranz

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
When I bought my '78 Bird several years ago, my wipers would barely work on high. Took the motor cover off and everything inside was bone dry. Greased it with axle grease and put the cover back on, and now they work on both low and high speed with no problems. Easy fix.

Offline MybirdIStheword

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 11:00:14 PM »
Yea, figured it would be lube. Ill give it a shot in the next couple weeks. Nothing thus far has been a "simple" fix so I have been on the lookout for weird problems.

Offline MybirdIStheword

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
So some update on this: lubricating the motor certainly did help, the motor runs at ~ 62 cycles per minute while unattached to the car.

problem being while attached to the wiper mechanism it runs much much slower. below the 45 cycles per minute required for PA inspection. Im going to try lubricating the mechanism as well, but I am seriously doubting the "oomph" of this motor.

does anyone know if the car needs to be running? or can I just do this on accessory power?

Offline 76Tranz

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
Would work better if the motor was running, it would have a full charge of voltage from the alternator.

Offline MybirdIStheword

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 12:12:51 PM »
So the car definitely needs to be running (which is extremely odd) in order for the wipers to get enough (amperage?) to get up to speed. Haven't had that problem with any other car I have ever seen, but who cares it works!  ;D

It definitely needed cleaned and lubricated though. The crap in there turned to sludge.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 04:07:42 AM »
It doesn't 'need' to be running, but that's when there's the most power available to the electrical system, which is what the others were saying, and that's the same with any car so the difference is likely the old and heavy motors vs the newer designs, probably relays etc, and a good battery. If there's a major difference in the speed when car is off then it simply comes down to the battery. Either way it will likely be a lot slower than newer wiper motors even when good, but a 50% reduction sounds like a lot. Without the motor connected you can also operate the wipes back and forth to make sure there's no binding in the linkages, clean the ball pivot out too but mark where it is as it can be adjusted too.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:14:23 AM by Aus78Formula »