Author Topic: Hood release cable  (Read 8040 times)

Offline Bruni

Hood release cable
« on: December 08, 2007, 08:42:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the thread as I finally purchased a '77 T/A.  I need a new hood release cable, but do not want to use the short, under bumper cable.  I am looking for a long cable that goes into the interior.  Anybody with one for sale or info where I can purchase one would be greatly appreciated. 

'77 T/A 6.6
400ci. Auto

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Hood release cable
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »
Welcome.
I suppose it could be done but it would require some fabricating...not to mention new brackets, both inside the car and under the hood. Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to modify the set-up from another GM model...
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
Yes, they do not sell anything like what you are looking for because they never came that way.  You would have to modify a set up from some other car to be able to get something like that to work.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
It shouldn't be that hard. A bracket under the dash for the handle would probably be the hardest thing to fab up. A cable from something like a Monte Carlo would work. A couple of cable clamps under the hood to keep it in place and a hole drilled in the firewall and you're done.
Larry

Offline Bruni

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »
What year Monte Carlo?  If I knew what brackets to look for, i could modify it.  But I think the biggest problem I have is finding a long enough cable for any car that isnt from the 90s, unless its for a mustang or corvette.  Would a Corvette cable work with the proper brackets?

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
Not really. The 'vettes have their hood latch at the cowl. So the cable is pretty short. Look for a cable from a '73 - '77 Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Grand Prix. Those A-bodies have a pretty long hood/engine compartment. Once you have the cable you should be able to see what you need for a bracket. Just test fit it under the dash to fid where you want it and fab a bracket to fit.
Larry

Offline Bruni

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Once I figure this out ill post pics and info here.

Offline Bruni

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
Would an '82-90 GM cable work?  Is the end of the cable that goes into the latch mechanism pretty much the same on all years, or did they change design from 70s?

Offline LTD

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 06:45:01 PM »
Usually on my Firebird, I have to hold out on the cable and then pull up on the hood to get it to open.  I think that's one of the reasons that these cars came with exterior hood release cables.  It would be nearly impossible to get one open if the pulley was on the interior.  It would require quite a large amount of modifications.  Best of luck though! :D

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »
I have seen cars (Firebirds) with aftermarket hood locks.
You pull the cable inside the car, to release the lock, but you still have to go out of the car, and use the hood pull to open the hood.
Never seen one that opens from inside the car.

George  8)

Offline Bruni

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »
ok people, im on the brink of something neat!  im little more than half way completed with my interior hood release conversion.  soon as its done and it works, ill try to explain how i did it, and have a list of part needed.  As soon as i can figure out how to post pics, ill put them up as well.

Offline Bruni

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »
alright, here we go.  Parts i bought:  #03323  (HELP! brand 'Hood release cable kit');  #55103 (HELP! brand 'Remote control cable'); GM Hood release cable for third gen. (The bracket and sheathing are needed, not the cable);  5/16 x 1" bolt and wing nut. 

First thing i did was cut the GM 3rd gen cable ball end off, pull out the cable and discard.  Cut the yellowish/green retainer at the end from the cable and discard.  Cut the corners of this bracket as shown in photo so it will fit neatly under dash.  (if pics are unclear, ill take more, but once you try to fit it you'll see where it should be cut).  Run this cable end over the pictured brake bracket, and into the floor hole. 
     Check for fit and mark hole.  Drill and bolt it up.  I ran the metal sheathing from the front of the car, after i had it in place where the old cable was secured.  Once they are end-to-end, run the cable from part #03323 through from the inside of car.  I used the small handle with "hood" painted on it.  the longer one probably wont work.  Put in the roll pin, and once the cable is all the way through, you should have about 4 or 5 inches of cable at the front.  Then place the crimp clamp on the cable and loop it.  Place the release pin through the cable and lock it in place.  Pull the cable taught, but not so much it pulls the lever.  Crimp.  Your done.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:36:19 AM by Bruni »

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 03:21:49 AM »
Nice job!  ;D
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Bruni

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 03:31:40 AM »
so i made some trial openings and every third pop maybe, i had a problem with the safety latch catching.  there are two fixes for this...   a) attach another cable to the lever mechanism to open like the old release, after the inside pull is made.  WarbirdTA made this evident.  ;)  or 2) use vise grips to hold the inside handle from retracting until you open the hood.  I personally use (b) because its easier.  Though i'm working on ideas for some type of latch to hold the release handle from retracting, so it looks like it belongs.   :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:33:37 AM by Bruni »

Offline vet709

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
How do I release the hood on a 1991 Firebird? The interior hood release lever will not move anything under the hood.  It appears hooked up inside, but when pulled, nothing happens.