Author Topic: TransAm_Stans 76 400 4sp Project  (Read 44575 times)

Offline Elz

Re: TransAm_Stans 76 400 4sp Project
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
You can guide coat with any contrasting color. I use flat rattle can paint. If your epoxy is black, try dusting it with red rattle can primer. It all sands off any way. It is your friend, trust me.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2012, 05:59:48 AM »
This car is SO trying my patience. Seems like every time I take something off to "peek inside" there is another gremlin.  The latest find...

So I flip my motor over on the stand to replace my rope seal & pan gasket.  I will be using the graphite rope & 1 piece gasket from BOP.  Pan comes off.  What do I see?  No support for the dipstick.  Hummm... I dig deeper.  Loosen up the crank caps & start pulling them looking at the bearings as I go (they look horrible) & find that the oil holes in the crank are not radiused (spelling?) What fudge packer would turn a crank without relieving the holes at the cap bearings? Now I wonder about the crank journals.  It bummed me out so much I just put a plastic bag on her & walked away...

76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline bobg

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »

You are welcome Stan. The car looks like it is coming along nicely. Just be patient and it will all come together.

A big hearty Thank You to Bobg  for coming through with sheet metal that goes between the rear of the quarter & the tail pan, behind the tail lights. Very cool guy.

You are welcome Stan. The car looks like it is coming along nicely. Be patient and good results will come of it.
79  TATA 400 W72 4spd
79 gold 400 4spd w72 T top
74 superduty 455 4spd
70 Trans am Ram air 4speed

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
hang in there. just find a competent shop to clean up the crank. Install new bearing while you are at it. make sure to check clearances now before you send it off. Check w/ new bearings though.

I'm only a few hours away if you need anything :)
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
Thanks Larry.  If you were closer you would never get anything done, cause I would be bugging you all the time!

Update:

Block & crank going into the doctors for a clean & inspection.  Hope the Doc sez things are ok...

Here are the particulars of the engine:

Block:   500557
Heads:   6X
Cam:   Edelbrock 2157
Pistons: 2512P chamfered edge std. bore
Intake:   Edelbrock Performer
Carb:   Edelbrock
1.5 roller rockers
ARP rocker studs
Dbl. Roller chain
Manual Tranny
3:73 rear end (unconfirmed)

I will be adding....(at least)

Tribal Tubes Tri-Y's
Pypes tranverse exhaust (2.5)
Q-Jet rebuilt & rejetted
Remflex Header gaskets
BOP 1 pc. pan seal
Graphite Rope seal
fuel pump (found gas in the oil)

I might change out some stuff internally.  I don't know yet.  Depends what the "Doc" says.

Been sanding, filling, sanding, blocking lately.  I hate bodywork...  This door is giving me fits.  I just know its going to wave at me when I get out of the car!

Also my drivers fender needs a patch panel, low, behind the wheel.  Can't wait to tackle that job.

'Till I have more...

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
A few thing to submit....

Engine:

Block cleaned
Bored .030
Crank turned .010 under

I was really having fits deciding what pieces parts to rebuild with.  If I had more experience with engines I could have saved some money here.  In the end I called Jim at Central Virginia Machine Service & asked his opinion.  I feel he asked me the right questions & made a good recommendation.

I bought a Master kit off of him.  Upgrades included forged pistons & rods.  Will be using a Comp XE cam, either a  XE274H or a XE268H.

With the above I fell I should have a strong lower end.   

The heads are another story altogether.

So many heads so little time to educate myself on what I should do.  Stock are 6X-8's.  At Jims suggestion I went with a trade with him to 6X-4's.  I sent him my 8's & this is what he had to say about my current valve train...

My rocker studs were for a SBC.  strike 1...
Roller rockers were 1.5 & also for a SBC.  strike 2
Original valves.  Strike 3...

Only good thing is the castings are in good shape.  yay...

He has not given me an estimate for what I need, but this is my guess...

Intake & exhaust valves
Brass valve guides
New rockers
ARP studs

Hopefully he can reuse my valve springs but at this point I would not bet a dime on it. 

Engine is still at the machine shop.  Will have it back in a week or two.  Probably the same with the heads.

I did not expect to spend this $$ on the engine.  It is going to seriously cut into the total project money.  I just might have to leave the car in Flat black epoxy...

My Carb from Maryland Bandit came back the other day.  I tried to rebuild it myself.  Ordered all I needed from Cliff.  Got the book.  Sorry wasn't gonna happen in this lifetime.  I haven't even opened the pkg.  I hope my 700 dollar investment looks & performs well.  Yeah 700.  Makes me sick to spend that much money on a carb.  But it is what it is...

As far as the shell is concerned...

It is still in epoxy primer.  I lightly blocked it to find the small dings & fixed those.  Driver door is in the same condition.  Pass. door is giving me fits as well as the trunk lid.  I am waiting for those 2 items to catch up to the rest of the shell & then continue with hi-build primer.

Interior:

What interior?  There is not a thing in there.  Nada.  Zip...

I am still  not  happy with what I find  for interior paint, dye, whatever you call it.  Seems like the match for a 76 blue is non existent.  I bought a can of Sem Color Coat "Pacific Blue" to do a test with.  I have one original strip of blue that was under the package tray that is over spray from the factory.  I hope to match it with something, someday.

On a personal note:

Last year I participated in a race in Florida during Bike Week.  I ended up with a broken wrist.  I am happy to report I attended the same race this year.  No broken bones, BUT I did knock myself out at the SAME place as I crashed last year.  Imagine that...    I have raced motocross for 33 years & never been knock out.  What a milestone.  It sux getting old...

I have not worked on the car for the past few weeks.  Right now with mother nature kicking up the heat early, I have had to start back to work early as well.  It is quite possible this car will not be done until next spring.

Good thing I have a POS 79 to tool around in.  Hope the motor holds together...

All for now...

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
A few thing to submit....

Engine:

Block cleaned
Bored .030
Crank turned .010 under

I was really having fits deciding what pieces parts to rebuild with.  If I had more experience with engines I could have saved some money here.  In the end I called Jim at Central Virginia Machine Service & asked his opinion.  I feel he asked me the right questions & made a good recommendation.

I bought a Master kit off of him.  Upgrades included forged pistons & rods.  Will be using a Comp XE cam, either a  XE274H or a XE268H.

With the above I fell I should have a strong lower end.   

The heads are another story altogether.

So many heads so little time to educate myself on what I should do.  Stock are 6X-8's.  At Jims suggestion I went with a trade with him to 6X-4's.  I sent him my 8's & this is what he had to say about my current valve train...

My rocker studs were for a SBC.  strike 1...
Roller rockers were 1.5 & also for a SBC.  strike 2
Original valves.  Strike 3...

Only good thing is the castings are in good shape.  yay...

He has not given me an estimate for what I need, but this is my guess...

Intake & exhaust valves
Brass valve guides
New rockers
ARP studs

Hopefully he can reuse my valve springs but at this point I would not bet a dime on it. 

Engine is still at the machine shop.  Will have it back in a week or two.  Probably the same with the heads.

I did not expect to spend this $$ on the engine.  It is going to seriously cut into the total project money.  I just might have to leave the car in Flat black epoxy...

My Carb from Maryland Bandit came back the other day.  I tried to rebuild it myself.  Ordered all I needed from Cliff.  Got the book.  Sorry wasn't gonna happen in this lifetime.  I haven't even opened the pkg.  I hope my 700 dollar investment looks & performs well.  Yeah 700.  Makes me sick to spend that much money on a carb.  But it is what it is...

As far as the shell is concerned...

It is still in epoxy primer.  I lightly blocked it to find the small dings & fixed those.  Driver door is in the same condition.  Pass. door is giving me fits as well as the trunk lid.  I am waiting for those 2 items to catch up to the rest of the shell & then continue with hi-build primer.

Interior:

What interior?  There is not a thing in there.  Nada.  Zip...

I am still  not  happy with what I find  for interior paint, dye, whatever you call it.  Seems like the match for a 76 blue is non existent.  I bought a can of Sem Color Coat "Pacific Blue" to do a test with.  I have one original strip of blue that was under the package tray that is over spray from the factory.  I hope to match it with something, someday.

On a personal note:

Last year I participated in a race in Florida during Bike Week.  I ended up with a broken wrist.  I am happy to report I attended the same race this year.  No broken bones, BUT I did knock myself out at the SAME place as I crashed last year.  Imagine that...    I have raced motocross for 33 years & never been knock out.  What a milestone.  It sux getting old...

I have not worked on the car for the past few weeks.  Right now with mother nature kicking up the heat early, I have had to start back to work early as well.  It is quite possible this car will not be done until next spring.

Good thing I have a POS 79 to tool around in.  Hope the motor holds together...

All for now...
sorry to hear about the horrible trip here, $700 for the carb "HOLY SH%*T" as for the cylinder heads, i would fo sure do valve springs, they are cheap insurance
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
Stan, hang in there brother! It does get better/easier eventually. Sounds like you have the makings of a tight bottom end of the motor and will soon have the top end together as well. Do yourself a favor and don't cut corners on the springs. Joe Dirt was spot on above with his advice about the springs. Just not worth it.

As for the interior
Are you looking for any parts? Are you having trouble duplicating the white? I know I did. I also know you a waiting on some info from me about a white perforated headliner material. Well Im still waiting on the swatch to arrive. In the meantime my off-white headliner material when held up to the seats and trim look pretty normal. Not the same but doesnt jump out at ya either. i havent decided if we are gonna spray it or not.

What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »
As far as the valve spring are concerned, I am leaving that up to Jim at CVMS.  He will put them on a machine & give me the word.  No, I will not scrimp on a 150 dollar part.

I have not ordered any interior stuff other than Fatmat.  I want to nail down the blue before I go in search of white.  I am assuming (possibly incorrectly) the white will be an easy item to come by & spray.

I am sure I will need some interior pieces but at this time, since I am a TA virgin, I cannot see that far in advance as to what my requirements will be.  Won't be starting on the interior until the shell is painted.  That will be some time in the distant future.

It actually feels good not to work on the car.  Like the pressure is off to get the panels straight.  Although I will have to tackle them eventually.  If I could find a decent door & trunk lid that is the route I would go.  I will keep looking, although not very hard as work is in the way now.

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

Stan

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
I have a nice trunk lid and door but im kinda far from you
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
hey Stan, hang in there man it will all come together, as for the bodywork, yes it is a wicked process to get them straight, block, block, block, block then block some more and then when done block some more, by the time they are straight you should need 2 new shoulders, 2 wrist replacements, some skin graffing and of course your head examined
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline iceman

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
Stan, you keep saying your a T/A virgin... Seems to me you are gaining some invaluable experience. We all go thru the emotions you are going through. It will take time and frustration. Being able to overcome these emotions and prevail is a wonderful feeling. Seems to me you are doing great and are making progress. Keep us posted as I enjoy seeing your progress. Mike
Check out my facebook page: River City Muscle LLC
1969 Pontiac GTO
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
1977 Pontiac Trans Am

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
sometimes all it takes is a visit to YOUTUBE to see some T/As in action to get the ball rolling again. heres a couple short ones that i like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2iugXZOHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm6fZeXthoM
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2012, 01:11:55 PM »
SEM from fbodywarehouse has color match for white and dark blue. http://www.fbodywarehouse.com/fbw/product.php?productid=199&cat=216&page=1
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
Stan, you keep saying your a T/A virgin... Seems to me you are gaining some invaluable experience.

I still consider myself a TA virgin.  Although you are correct to a point.  The items that I have replaced, repaired, or reconditioned I do have experience.  Although at this time that list is fairly short.  By the time I am done with this project I guarantee the next one will go SO much smoother & easier.

I want to be able to be shown (or see) a part & know where it goes & what type of fasteners are used to hold it down.  Right now I have a lot of loose parts that I did not remove (PO did) and I have no clue where it goes.  But that's ok, its all part of the game...

Yeah I did say my next one will go smoother.  I have a 79 driver I would like to bring back to a better condition.  I should have my head examined...

Is there a doctor in the house?  ;)

Hada76:  Nice videos.  ALthough I can't imagine toasting a set of 300 buck tires like that.  Ok, maybe once...