Author Topic: 1978 T/A  (Read 3980 times)

Offline 78t/a_rcr

1978 T/A
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:01:01 PM »
Im about to buy one but I was wondering if there are any common problems that will probably need to be looked at? It isn't running any tips on the restoration/ any tips on added performance parts that will be good via headers exhaust intake cam?
Paul

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
1978 T/A
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:14:43 PM »
Hi and good luck with your upcoming purchase. Just from past experience I'd say the biggest, most important thing is to look for RUST. I know the rust gods are easier on sheet metal way over there in NV versus here in Maryland. But, the better the shell, the easier the restoration.

Second, I'd say look closely for wiring problems. Crawl under the steering column and look at all the connections. If you see a bunch of hacked up wires plan on a nightmare.

Third I'd suggest you decide if you are going to RESTORE (back to original) or rebuild it using parts that you desire (go fast goodies, PIA headers, etc) to see on the car. if it's RESTORE then you want to look for a numbers matching car that retains as much of the original stuff as you can afford.

Most folks buy an old TA and start yanking original carbs, intakes, heads, etc and stuffing the engine compartment with aftermarket goodies only to decide later that original would have been better. So,if you start that route...save all the stuff that is original to the car.

Most of all have fun and make it whatever your vision for the car may be. In the end you'll be happy with what you have.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 78t/a_rcr

1978 T/A
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:50:31 PM »
well the car is not running im getting it for $600 and I am going to have to rebuild the engine and get parts for it but im not looking for original- its not fast enough. so i will defuinitly be looking at after market parts
Paul

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
1978 T/A
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »
Well sounds like you've got a plan. Be sure to test the functionality of the brakes once you do get it running. Those old rubber hoses dry out fairly quickly when one has been sitting.

Oh yeah, if you're gonna try to fire up the engine thats in it now, keep a water hose close by in case of fire.  :shock:
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline 78t/a_rcr

1978 T/A
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »
uhm well i have to take apart the engine for a rebuild and not really sure what exactly it is gonna need.. all i know is im gonna say what ricky bobby said, :i wanna go fast!!!"
Paul

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
1978 T/A
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:08:11 AM »
Which engine is in your T/A?? Is it stock?? In '78 there were three engines available: Pontiac W72 400, Pontiac L78 400, and Oldsmobile 403. This info can help us help you with your restoration. :wink:
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline phishfud

1978 T/A
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
I see you're in Vegas. You wouldn't happen to be buying a blue, W72 4 speed with manual windows and no t-tops would ya? I ask cause when I lived in Vegas, I regrettably sold mine, only cause it had a rod knock, and I had nowhere to work on it.
78 TA, 400, 4spd.
88 GTA
72 Chevelle SS
70 Camaro
72 Demon
87 Conquest

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
1978 T/A
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »
Well here's what mine looked like and I paid a bunch more than you on initial purchase:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/cdjmcarter/1978-ta/restoration.html

Mine's a 78 as well with T-Tops so you can get a general idea of where rust may be formed or areas to look at.

As for perf goodies I'm running Headmann Hedders (had them ceramic coated) on the advice of Larry Navaro and the fit is very good. Also running a Performer RPM intake with Holley 4 Barrel carb & electric choke. Exhaust wise I'll be running (isn't installed yet) a Pypes X-pipe system - true duals.

Use brand name parts when rebuilding your engine - this is not a place to skimp and get yourself a VITON rear main seal to replace the original rope one.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone