Author Topic: Another Year One 17 Snowflake question - picture of back side of wheels  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
My 17" wheels arrived today. I will take some pictures over the weekend but there appears to be a couple changes compared to the first version they released...

• 5.125" backspacing (first series had a 4.875" backspacing) If you need less backspacing, add a 1/16" or 1/8" or 1/4" spacer.
  • Lug nut holes are NOT like factory snowflake wheels. They have a conical seat ground into them, more than likely so they work with both acorn conical lug nuts as well as the traditional snowflake lug nuts.

The lug nut holes are recessed pretty deep, I'll do some measurements compared to my 15x7 snowflakes. It doesn't take away from the look of the wheel, just observing a lot of extra aluminum in the casting at the lug nut holes.

If the traditional snowflake lug nuts do not center the wheel I'll switch to acorn style lug nuts. Either way, I'm in business!
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Elz

Any idea why they changed the backspacing?

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
I just blogged bout the wheels. I'm pretty pleased with them. http://www.modsandrods.tv/2014/06/13/yearone-cast-snowflake-17x9-wheels/ Only thing I don't like is how recessed the lug nuts are,both acorn and traditional snowflake lug nuts look funny that deep to me. I ordered some longer lug nuts, going to give them a try to see if they look a little better sticking out.

I have no idea why they changed the back spacing. I think they should have done 5" exactly on the nose in my opinion. I believe factory 15x8 had a 4 1/2" back spacing, so mathematically you would think you would add 1/2" to each side and arrive to a 5" back spacing to keep it centered. The 15x7 also have a 4 1/2" back spacing so if you went by that wheel you would end up with a 5 1/2" back spacing with the same logic, so maybe this is a compromise. Looking at clearances in the rear, I am now concerned about tire rubbing and may need to put a 1/8" or 1/4" spacer in there. Will be a week or two before I will find out. I do have rear disc brakes so maybe the thickness of the rotor will make up enough of the distance in my case.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
I have no idea why they changed the back spacing.

I guess to run a wider tire? most go with a 285 on back

'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
If the back spacing was any higher it would def rub on the inside near the seat belt mounts.