Author Topic: Another Year One 17 Snowflake question - picture of back side of wheels  (Read 9616 times)

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Does someone have a picture of the back side of the YearOne 17" Snowflake cast aluminum wheels?

Reason: I got Moser axle shafts with my rear disc brake car, not thinking about the hub being used to center the wheel as well as the rotor. I have about 1/8" of the hub sticking out, so if the YearOne wheels are machined with the hub hole flush with the bolt pattern, then I'm in business. The factory snowflake wheels hub hole is recessed about 1/8", it's barely touching the hub hat from my Moser axles.

For the time being I'm using this method noted in reply #26: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=50695.msg460353#msg460353

Also, do the YearOne 17" accept both types of lug nuts? If it accepts the conical seat style lug nuts, then I don't need to worry about this.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Did you get this sorted? I have a 17" snowflake sitting in my bedroom and also several photos of the inside of the rims when new, don't look much different to stock 15". Just measured....the centre of the hub hole inside the centre cab has a 45-degree 1/4" chamfer.

And no, they take the stock snowflake lugnuts not tapered acorn style, not suitable for alloy rims without the hardened inserts. Is the problem basically that the replacement rear disc 'hub' is thicker than that of the original brake drum so not enough to hang the rim on to centre? Any questions, photos or measurements, let me know...rim is right here ------->       
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:43:02 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Someone over on TAC told me I can use tapered (acorn) nuts with the aftermarket wheels. If the wheel is not designed for that then that's a problem.

What is the hub diameter of the 17" wheels? Is it the same 70.3mm?
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Eyeballing it to a small ruler it looks about 71.2mm. The stud holes have a tiny chamfer on them to take the corner off, not designed to take an acorn nut beyond finger tight.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
I think they sell hub centric rings that would go from 70.3 to 71.3. I don't think they make them any thinner than that though.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
And grand73am corrected the first reply on TAC the wheels cannot accept the tapered lug nuts. So now I need a hub centric ring solution. I think a hub centric ring that is wedge shaped would be the solution here.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Some older photos I took of my new 17's:

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Man I want those wheels! That 45 degree edge sucks for my situation. Maybe I can make a mold with that InstaMorph plastic stuff.

How tight do the factory snowflake lug nuts fit in the aftermarket lug nut holes?

I owe you a very tall beer!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
From memory they were a size for size fit and snug right down inside the recess, could also be the repro lugnuts I have but  as good as centering the thing with these alone, so firm a fit that you wouldn't be able to do them finger tight all the way but just started and then spin the bar for the rest of the way in. There wouldn't be an issue having the rim centred, but perhaps moreso that it is only supported by the studs and not the hub.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
The hub doesn't support the wheels anyway once the bolts are torqued down to spec, so that may be OK then. The lug nuts now fit snugly in my factory wheels and is why I didn't worry about this originally. I think I will stick with the plan get these wheels, if  I need to I'll make some rings with a wedge shape to match what year one machined off.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
I have a 17" snowflake sitting in my bedroom       

now that's a true T/A lover
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Haha, working on my white tyre lettering during dvds in the early hours from my other post.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
So not only are the rims in your bedroom, but so are the tires/tyres? :)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
You mention that as if it's not normal?!

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
LOL

I think most of us have some sort of rubber next to out beds. :)