Author Topic: super rare find  (Read 10752 times)

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
Re: super rare find
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
right as this guy says its a y88 to me but there were no shaker call outs on L78 y88 cars? my y88 is a june built car with solid painted ws6 rims black tails but since a repaint no clue on the call outs this may be important as for the rebuild detailing for me in the future. .........hitman did you get my pm on the wheel paint speaking of?
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »
but since a repaint no clue on the call outs this may be important as for the rebuild detailing for me in the future.

W72 400's got the T/A 6.6 callout.  No other engine (L78, L80) got callouts in 1978.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
Is that car really a special edition?  It doesn't look like it to me.  I can't get excited about 403's either.  I'd rather have the 400.  That may be only because we couldn't get the 400 new in California in those years.  And I tried.  The sales guy laughed at me.  What I really wanted was a four speed.  So, 30 years later....I got what I wanted!

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »
in refference it has every tell tail of being one minus the wheel flares colors emblems stripes all seems correct to me he says its a y88 and i bet people wouldnt believe me is either because its white but i even have the build sheet to prove it being such so i'd have to say it could be a clone but i doubt it especially since they didnt really catch on until 5 years or so ago and that car was obviously if ever repainted it was many many years ago. i think if someone can document it really is one it may pull some good coin. as i paid out the rear for mine since rusty project junker ones are pulling 5 grand ish then again the black special editions are pulling 10 grand for a p.o.s.

Offline Shifty

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 10:18:05 PM »
The vin number in the ad calls for the car to have been built in Van Nuys The guy does not come out and say its a Y88
It has brite window trim. We need a build date.
Black grill   Silver dash bezel
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:50:46 PM by Shifty »
78 T/A W-72 400/4 speed WS6 MSD Hedman Comp Cams TRW / Goldy
78 T/A L-78 400/ auto WS6 / Bad n Blue  

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
but he will tell you it is well he doesnt know the term y88 as most reffer it to the gold edition ..... limited edition or special gold edition rather than what the list is as option y88 gold special edition. its a call it what you will but that car really has to be one i couldnt see a clone of one from that long ago and also my hood doesnt alighn nice either and its never been removed then again if you study all of these cars they are far from perfect fit cars.

Offline Shifty

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »
I ve had guys accuse my car of being a clone and a SE .  Its not!  It is the way it came from the factory.  And it is not a Y88. It has almost everything a Y88 has but not all. and that was the way it was shipped. There is about 5000 cars between my vin # and that car. If its a Y88 its the last 1 they built. My money says its not.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:55:53 PM by Shifty »

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
well he's  5416 past mine and i know the 403's were at the end run just before the 79's came out and mine was built  june 7th of 78 and mine is infact a y88 so i dunno im still sceptical of it his has the gold bird in the horn button gold spoked wheel tan steering column instead of black proper striping and the fading on the hood bird looks just like my old y88 did when i bought it back in 95 i mean just like it gold bird in the center cap properly painted ws6 wheels black tails under the hood looks factory so that tells me it couldnt have ever been changed up zooming in on the pics of the t-tops its the gold sheen given the fact that its an end run 78 having the 403 im betting its one. look at the price its at currently others who know the tell tail signs must think like me its just got to be one too bad he doesnt present a build sheet or a phs on it to tell the rest of the story.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
my car was also built in van nuys cal.

Offline lumarkhood10th

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 11:04:09 PM »
Rare, yes, but desirable?  Not sure.

Give me a 400/4-speed or at least a 400 auto over this every day of the week.

Mark
Trans Am's, Formulas, Chevelle, Mustang, GN

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »
i also agree with that statement. then again i had a 403 car and with a good set of duals i coudnt tell the difference until i popped the hood yuck olds motor in a poncho wtf??

Offline Shifty

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
According to Hitmans site the last Y88 built that he knows of is 7/18/78  I am not sure were it was built.  Mine has a shipped date  7/22/78  and is 176 numbers after Hitmans Y88 example. My car was built in Norwood.
 I guess without a build sheet or a body tag we will never know.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:36:24 PM by Shifty »

Offline dgtldesigner

• Stevie's Diner - Classic American Eats with a Retro Twist
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 12:36:00 AM »
...  i don't think i've seen my cars in 2 months!

you're off the team.
Steve

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1983 Trans Am

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 06:38:44 AM »
it would be interesting to know for sure mine has a pontiac motor the example and mine arent too far apart from eachother as originally found even hitman will stated an earlier end date originally since they were not documented its up to the owners to step forward to provide the facts on them so we can all sift them out. who knows maybe it is by od chance a clone wish he had a phs or build sheet we need someone to look for his build sheets and tell us what it says.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
The only reason I questioned whether it's really a special edition is the black headlight bezels and the sliver dash bezel.  The column is pretty easy to change.  The formula's could be ordered with color coded columns so they were available.  And, that wheel and hub look aftermarket to me.  It looks to have the correct center caps but the pictures are hard to see.

The passenger side of the hood looks way off.  I don't think they came from the factory like that.  But it could be just the crappy pictures.  I think it looks like a great car.  It's worth at least the minimum he's asking.