Author Topic: More Electrical issues  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
Re: More Electrical issues
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 09:33:33 PM »
Mike did you ever figure anything out?
Yes, I got a couple of things from my electrical diagram.  Your starter is hooked up correctly.  There is something either wrong with your starter or the wiring in between.  My suggestion is to by pass the starter solenoid to see if the car starts and runs with the new wiring first, then to go and back track through the system to find out the ignition problem.  I understand this is easy to suggest but since many of us are so far away we are unable to help and are only able to suggest steps to take and try to help you here.  

Bypass the starter solenoid would be my first suggestion to see if the car, at the very least, runs as I am unsure, without looking over the wiring myself and tracking them down, what else could be wrong.  I wish I could help further.  

Purchase Hitman's Service Manual as it has every thing in it to fix these cars and can help you track down (as it has a schematic diagram) what wires go where.  The Restoration manual you have is really not going to help with diagnostics.  

I have the service manual too actually. Brian Carter said it may have something to do with the purple wire and purple/white wire under the dash near the firewall. We are guessing about the neutral safety switch here.

How do I bypass the starter solenoid? Is this the ole screwdriver trick?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:39:54 PM by Anastasiofan92 »
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 08:02:19 AM »
Yes the 2 pin connector under the dash that has a purple wire & purple w/white stripe is what plugs into your neutral safety switch. If you bypass that by jumpering the pins on the plug you effectively take the neutral safety switch out of the equation.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THIS - YOUR CAR WILL START IN ANY GEAR. So chock the wheels and I'd even go as far as lifting the rear end up so the tires do not make contact with the ground so that the car cannot get away from you.

Other than that....are you planning a trip to OH/NY/PA where you could trailer the car up? Be very easy for a number of us to converge and get this thing running ;)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
All right boys and girls we had the starter cable on the wrong terminal (R) instead of the (S) terminal so we changed it out and ran it. She ran great, but all the sudden we saw sparks and the battery cable had melted to sh1t. We checked for shorts and sure enough it had melted on the headers... DOH!

Got a new cable coming from M and H so we'll see how it goes...

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »
Oh Yeah I'm really excited. I'm going to be looming up everything that needs the extra protection too, especially that battery cable. I plan to route it around the headers just to make sure this time that we're gonna be good.. The turn signals still don't work, but that will come!

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 09:59:38 AM »
Car starts everytime now and the battery cable is routed well clear of the headers!

Still no brake lights, no turn signals. Going to check ground on fender up front, and fuse. The brakes and turn signals worked before I switched out the harnesses. By the way, the marker lights in the front and rear, as well as the tail lights and the front parking lamps WILL light up, BUT they don't blink and the brake lights don't intensify when pressing the brake pedal...

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »
Do your hazard lights work?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
No

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
Ok fixed the stop lights/brake pedal depressed lights. Blown fuse. Next, the blinkers. They don't work HOWEVER when you put the blinkers on with the brake pedal depressed one will turn off or something..

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
First things to check are the bulbs.  Do the park lights come on?  Make sure you've got the right bulbs.  Neither the front blinkers or the back blinkers work....right?  The side marker lights work when the lights are turned on don't they?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
All the lights work when I pull the knob out but nothing blinks at all. The lights in the rear are the same as before when they worked before the harness switch.  Dome light works etc gauges and clusters are all out of the dash. I was thinking the flasher could have gone bad somehow when we switched the harnesses.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »
All right guys, fixed the brake lights, bad fuse. Put a new flasher in, but still no turn signals..

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
All right put a new fuse in in the flasher slot, nothing still. Then I noticed that the wires that attach to the flasher in the clip by the kick panel are burned up.. This must be the source of my troubles... How do I begin to fix this? Cut above the burnt wires, but splice the new wires to the good portion then crimp into the new plug? Would this make sense?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 11:30:56 PM »
I see there's this plastic white/clear relay looking thing running RIGHT next to the wires. This relay gets super hot and maybe that could have scorched the wires by getting too hot.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
What's the relay next to the fuse block?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »