Author Topic: do i have an SE  (Read 2788 times)

Offline lineman

do i have an SE
« on: October 07, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »
I have a 1980 ta 301 4bbl with t tops i think it is a SE how do i tell ,and if it is, is it worth more because its rare. if so whats the price difference.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
do i have an SE
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »
The best way to tell for sure is to search the car for the build sheet or send 35 bucks to Pontiac Historical Services for a copy of the build sheet. There are ways to develop a strong opinion whether it's an SE or Clone, but without the buildsheet nowadays it's getting impossible to be sure you have a genuine article.

Look for all the gold accents. Dash Bezel, headlight grilles, steering wheel spokes, right wheels for a SE of that year, etc. If your seeing stuff like that and can't find the build sheet it would be worth the 35 bucks to know for sure. Post some pics... I'm sure there are folks here that could give you a better idea of it's SE status and value.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Maryland Bandit

do i have an SE
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 09:43:51 PM »
I THINK steering wheels on the 1980 cars were black on the S/E cars. Check your hood cowl tag bu the drivers side windshield. See if one of the codes stamped is Y84. If so, its an S/E car. Not all cars were stamped though so sending for PHS documents is a great idea  You can pay a little extra and they fax you back pretty fast that that day. Then, the package comes in the snail mail a few days later. But, the basic nuts and bolts info will come back on the fax.
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
do i have an SE
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:55:03 PM »
Actually, Tom, yes, it was 1981 when they went back to black on the steering wheels.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am