Author Topic: Seaming carpet pieces together  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Schroeder

Seaming carpet pieces together
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:04:24 PM »
Hey guys, I have a almost perfect new condition carpet in my 77 TA.  The only problem is that the previous owner must not have had a headlight dimmer grommet for the floor so they just cut that corner off the carpet  ::)  I really would like to avoid spending $150+ for a new carpet.  I thought I could take a patch of carpet from the region that lies under the center console and but it up where it needs to be.  Then I could use carpet tape such as this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=carpet%20seaming%20tape&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All 

and butt the piece on.  Has anyone done this, seen it, or heard of it?  I guess you are supposed to use a special iron to heat the tape up.  I was going to just use a heat gun or get a junk clothes iron from a thrift store and use that.  Does anyone have any input?

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
Re: Seaming carpet pieces together
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »
Yes either way it can be messy, and make sure the carpet nap is going the same way on each piece.  There are actually 4 ways it can go, UP, DOWN,  LEFT and RIGHT.  In that area it probably won't be as noticeable, but make sure you use hi heat temp glue  if using a glue gun and some kind of roller to force the bond to take better.  You will have frayed ends when finished, just carefully trim with sharp scissors.
PM if you have any questions. :D

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
Yes either way it can be messy, and make sure the carpet nap is going the same way on each piece.  There are actually 4 ways it can go, UP, DOWN,  LEFT and RIGHT.  In that area it probably won't be as noticeable, but make sure you use hi heat temp glue  if using a glue gun and some kind of roller to force the bond to take better.  You will have frayed ends when finished, just carefully trim with sharp scissors.
PM if you have any questions. :D

So did you use a glue on on yours?  Here is a process I think I could replicate. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGMJGkbMSM
If I buy some carpet seaming glue I think I could replicate this pad the guy is trying to sell by wetting a pot holder and then putting aluminum foil between it and my iron.   

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »
The carpet seaming irons get hotter than the clothes irons to melt the glue, but I would just you a slightly dampened wrung out terrycloth towel and be careful bcuz the vehicle carpet has more poly in it and will tend to melt easier and quicker than the residential carpet shown!

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
The carpet seaming irons get hotter than the clothes irons to melt the glue, but I would just you a slightly dampened wrung out terrycloth towel and be careful bcuz the vehicle carpet has more poly in it and will tend to melt easier and quicker than the residential carpet shown!

I'll look around home for a terry cloth.  Hopefully we have one.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to use an oven mit or something.  I'm gonna get some tape right now.  I'll let you guys know how it goes in my resto thread!

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:49:10 PM »
I Wouldn't screw with the mitt, as that is not the way you normally seam carpet.  I would just get a garage sale iron and know it will have that glue residue on when you are finished.  Cut the desired length of tape, heat with iron on one side of tape and attach to main body.  Then on other side heat with iron as well and carefully place the cut piece on top of tape and butt up as closely to main carpet as possible without overlapping..  This is where the roller comes in so it presses the carpet to the tape.  If needed use the glue gun on areas that didn't stick as well and use the roller again.  Then trim to finish off cosmetically.
Have Fun!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:51:31 PM by oldskoolubr »

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »
Is the carpet out of the car currently? If so, you may be able to bring it to a carpet store and pay them to attach it.  They mend seams in home carpet all the time.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
Used it on a trunk carpet I made. Works OK. No pictures.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I worked for a carpet installer Waaaayyy back when.  The seam tape with glue on it is very strong.  We used an iron made special for the purpose.  Same idea as a clothes iron but more heat and a smaller (like half the size) head - which makes it easier to work with.  If still in the car and tight on space, you may be able to rent the iron a Homey Depot or a tool rental place....
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »
You can't use that tool on such a small amount of carpet!  It is too long and bulky!  I actually own a Carpet Business and wouldn't steer you wrong?! 

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
I used the method in the video I posted.  Seemed to work great!

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
GREAT!  Off Topic, that wiring harness is from a 79 so don't know if it will work for you or not?  LMK if you want me to take pics or see what color wire are in certain locations for your application. 

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »
thanks old skool but I recently got one of ebay from a 78.  Thanks.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
NP Bro!