Author Topic: How do I get build records from GM?  (Read 7251 times)

Offline miatasportscar

• 1981 4spd/305 "Survivor"
How do I get build records from GM?
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
Hello:
  Brand new to the forum, just bought my beautiful 1981 Trans Am, 4 spd, 305, White/red, 27K orig miles, show winning "Survivor". I'd like to get copy of original window sticker and/or build sheets. Anyone out there know where I get them? I look forward to be an active member of this forum. Thank you
Gerry

[attachment removed by admin over 60 days old]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:05:10 PM by miatasportscar »
Selling the finest pre-owned cars on the planet for 45 years!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: How do I get build records from GM?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:06:54 PM »
Weclome to 78TA Gerry

If you go to http://www.phs-online.com/services.html you can order the PHS doc's ($50.) for your car along with the window sticker ($30. I think) but buildsheet copys are not available anywhere.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline miatasportscar

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
Is there a code sheet or build informarion attached to the car anywhere? Inside the trunk? Where? Thank you...
Gerry
PS Excuse my ignorance I just bought the car yesterday! It's a beauty!!

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »
You may get lucky and find your original buildsheet within the car.
Following locations are usual but it could be anywhere...

Top of gas tank (usually un-readable if it survives at all..)
Back of rear seat
Bottom of rear seat bottoms
Bottom of either front seat
Inside the frame-work of the dash
Under carpet/sound deadener
Etc etc

Just about anywhere really....or it may not have even made it into the car at all at the factory :-\ Or could have been removed by a previous owner, too.

Keep your fingers crossed...it's not vital but pretty cool to have.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline miatasportscar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
Thanks, I'll search around for it. This car is gorgeous! One elderly owner, he passed on. A dealer friend bought it from the estate and I bought it from him. I've been looking for a white 1981 with 4 spd and 305, I can't believe I stumbled on it, and with the exact options I wanted. I hate "T-tops" so it was perfect for me! I can't wait for spring. I live in Geneva, NY, it's snowin & blowin! This one will definitely stay in the garage until spring, it has never been on a salt road, the original owner used it for show, at least that's the story I got. Sure looks it! I'll have lots of fun wit it, that's for sure. I thank you again. If I can ever help you, jusy hollar!
Gerry

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »
Hey Gerry, welcome to 78ta, nice ride!
Rich

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
Welcome to 78TA.com!  Jeff pretty well nailed your question with his answer -- he's a picky cuss about spelling and punctuation, but he knows his stuff!  Thanks for posting pics and we look forward to hearing more from you! :) :)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, nice to have you here and congrats on the purchase.  Yes, you can get some information from PHS Services with the link above.  But a few things I would like to clarify, yes, you do not get a copy of the Original Build Sheet.... those are one of a kind and are only in your car.  So, if you do not find it in your car, then it is gone./  Second, with the PHS, you get a "copy" of the original Dealer Invoice for the car... it is NOT a copy of the window sticker, just the Dealer Invoice.  Yes, you can get a Reproduction windows sticker form PHS, but it is just for show purposes and nothing more.  It is not entirely accurate, it is just a pretty thing to hang in your window and is for display only.  Again, welcome to the Forum and we are here to help out with any questions that you have.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline miatasportscar

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:19:31 PM »
Hitman:
  I guess you're the head Honcho. I thank you for the kind words. A little bit about me...I'm not a kid, I'm 69, been a registered NY State car dealer for 45 years. My specialty used to be selling Rolls-Royces and Bentleys, and I still do, however I've managed to sell 130 Mazda Miata MX5's along the way recently as a little "sumer project"!. I've always admired the Trans Am, but never found a white 1981 with a 4 spd, 305 V8, and no T-tops. That is until this week! I can't wait to get it detailed to the nines, and get the little things that will make owning it more fun, although I'm a stickler for authentic OEM in every way. I may add CD Player and new speakers, that's about it if I can find exact replacements in modern updated sound. One of the things you should all know is I've hosted many Miata meets, many Rolls-Royce Owners Club gatherings in the 70's. I look forward to attending a Trans Am gathering with my well sorted '81 in the spring. If any of you live around Geneva, NY, let me hear from you. Again, I not only look forward to you all for help regarding the care and enjoyment of my newly acquired Trans Am, but I look forward to helping out anyone I can as well. Thank you all for the kind words. Happy to be aboard! (Here's a couple pics, I'll post one with the '81 Trans Am when the weather gets better)
Gerry

[attachment removed by admin over 60 days old]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:29:45 PM by miatasportscar »

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »
Yes, the window sticker you can get (optional charge) from PHS is a reproduction, but in my case I still had the remains of my original and it was accurate.  In my case I wanted something to hang on the wall along with the original sales order and it makes a very nice display.  I spent some money getting all the original paperwork framed up for display since I've owned the same car since it was new.  That doesn't increase the value of the car by even a nickel but it sure makes for a good conversation piece.

Now I just gotta decide how to best display the 33 registration slips...by decade, perhaps? ??? ???

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »
That doesn't increase the value of the car by even a nickel but it sure makes for a good conversation piece.

I think you are wrong about that... having all of that information does definately increases the value by a whole lot of nickels.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline wheels78ta

• Worth its weight in Gold
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »
Hey Gerry,  welcome to the site.  You did good by posting pictures right at the start.  You would have been flamed if you didn't.

Hitman ?  The head honcho?  I see you have a sense of humor too.      ;D

Just kidding, Head Honcho !!!!    You are numero uno.    :-*

wheels
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:54:28 PM by wheels78ta »
1978 Y88 W72 WS6 4-SPD 79,000 miles
1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.4L Vortec 4x4
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L Vortec 4x4
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3L Vortec 4x4

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
I think you are wrong about that... having all of that information does definately increases the value by a whole lot of nickels.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I've got all thsi crap carefully tucked away and even know where most of it is located, but sometimes I wonder what good it is.  I've even got the build sheet from my 81 Dodge O24 AND the original paperwork on it too, but there doesn't seem to be much demand for that these days. ::) ::) :-\

Offline miatasportscar

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »
Rick:
  Take it from a pro, I've sold high line classics for 45 years. This is my advice. Save every piece of original documentation, every photo you've taken of it, every service you've done to it. Every piece of literature authenticating a classic car makes it that much more appealing to the purchaser, makes it more valuable. It gives the new owner "bragging rights galore", and this is worth more every time. My advice after 45 yrs in this business is simply to save EVERYTHING! What you think might be garbage will be just what the new owner gets off on. Save everything, makes the car worth MUCH more. Even a letter to him from you telling about some of your experiences with the car is worth gold....my two cents worth.
Gerry

Offline dgtldesigner

• Stevie's Diner - Classic American Eats with a Retro Twist
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
Congrats on the ride
looks niiiiiiice!
welcome to 78ta!  :)
Steve

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1983 Trans Am