Author Topic: Dash Gauge lights  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Go24Girl

Dash Gauge lights
« on: March 23, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »
Hi all.

How many total lights are there for the gauges in the dash 1979 TA? I want to switch out to LED, but need to know how many to purchase.

Thanks!

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
Re: Dash Gauge lights
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:56:52 PM »
I believe there are 11 (including turn signals, brake, seatbelt, and high beam) in the main cluster plus one in the fuel/volt cluster.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:41:14 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Go24Girl

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »
Thank you!

Very helpful!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:54:53 PM »
Buy many to include spares. They can blow or even not work from new. Be aware which bulbs had coloured covers on them and which uses coloured lenses for what lights, such as flashers, high beam, brake warning and seatbelt.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:49:08 PM »
Did later years have colored covers on some?  None of my 77s are. Just the colored lens they’re behind for turn signals, high beam, brake and seatbelt.
-Brian-

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 12:39:56 AM »
Possibly not. But mine had them for the green flashers and I've found them on blue high beam on spare gauges. They are a good way of keeping good colour and can be swapped when blown. I think I still have them now on white led, or did I get colours for all, can't recall.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:46:15 AM »
Interesting. I could maybe see the benefit at least for the turn signal flashers with a brighter bulb maybe. Mine, with just the bulb and the colored lenses at the end of the tube, are ridiculously difficult to see during the day. Combine that with the lack of “click” when the signal is on compared to modern cars I have to double check whether or not my signal is still on. (Made better now that my cancelling spring is replace for the left signal.) if I was going to update anything though it would be the turn signal indicators. The rest of my dash lights were surprisingly bright the first time I drove my car at night (after about 8 or 9 years of owing it.) Especially considering how everyone says they’re seems dim. I found mine very easy to read.
-Brian-