Author Topic: Dome light wont turn off  (Read 1084 times)

Offline randr

Dome light wont turn off
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
 I have a 79 TA with the standard dome light. Not the deluxe. It will stay on at all times. The door switches seem to be working because the under dash lights will go on and off with the switch. I've also checked the headlight switch and it seems to be working and is not in the on position. I'm assuming something is grounded out somewhere correct? If so and ideas on how to check and where to start? Thanks.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Dome light wont turn off
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
Try wiggling the dome light itself, see if one of the terminals is earthing out of roof structure. I think the live feed is there all the time, just the earth wire to it is only connected when headlight switch used or door switches, so it's getting another source. The deluxe light is different, being metal it is meant to ground out on roof.

Offline randr

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
I tried taking it completely out and let it hang there. Light still won't go out.

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
Is all the interior in the car? If not just follow the ground side back to dash, its getting round somewhere, maybe pinched on metal at the floor , could even be a bad light switch.. Pull the plug off the light switch and see if its getting ground there or on the wire after the switch.
Do the under lights come on with the light switch?
If all that works, look at the connection in the trunk, i believe the dome wires run down to there , disconnect and check for ground there

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:17:20 AM by skip99 »

Offline randr

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
 Thanks for the help. It looks like a wire was grounding out between the trunk and dome light. I'll have to take down the headliner but it looks like I found it. Thanks again.