Author Topic: Battery Drain 79 403  (Read 2596 times)

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
Battery Drain 79 403
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
So, I just paid off my T/A last week, got the title in the mail, and go out to drive it last weekend, and the battery was dead.  I figured it needed a new battery, as it was at least 15 years old and it got very cold in in Washington DC area last week.  Anyway, I put a new battery in and as soon as I hooked it up, I noticed a pinging noise from back behind the shaker.  Sounds like it is near the distributor, or the washer motor.  I can't tell any more specificity than that.  I started to do the pull-the-fuse routine to see if I could narrow down the system, but that damn fuse box is a PITA to get too and reach the fuses, especially for an old fart like me. So, I was hoping that someone here might have any ideas. 
The noise sounds like s solenoid, or a like a turn signal switch, but not as fast.  It "blinks" "on" and "off" probably every 20 to 25 seconds.  But when I disconnect the battery, it stops.  I am almost certain that whatever is causing the noise is causing the drain.  I just am at a loss as to where to look and what this could be.  I have never heard this noise before, and like I said, never had a drain problem, as the battery was almost 15 years old until last week.  Any ideas would be great.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:07:42 PM by SgtRock »

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
Re: Battery Drain 79 403
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
Interesting...does it atually have a drain now? You said it was an old battery, does the new one drain?
And its not a door chime, or  key in ignition chime, maybe a warneing bell added or anything like that?

It almost sounds like a fuse breaker?  Maybe something added?

Possibly the wiper relay or washer relay is stuck?unplug the wiper and see if its gone. Theres just not much around there to do what you are desribng

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
Interesting...does it atually have a drain now? You said it was an old battery, does the new one drain?
And its not a door chime, or  key in ignition chime, maybe a warneing bell added or anything like that?

It almost sounds like a fuse breaker?  Maybe something added?

Possibly the wiper relay or washer relay is stuck?unplug the wiper and see if its gone. Theres just not much around there to do what you are desribng

As far as the drain now, I have not hooked up a meter to test it, mostly cuz I can't find the darn thing.  But I suspected that this was the cause of the old battery dying, since this sound has never been there before.  The reason I suspected the wiper motor is because I had been using the wipers switching them on and off over a two our drive every few minutes to wipe away road spray.  The ignition chime/seat belt chime still work when you put the key in.  I am the second owner, but I don't know what the original owner did to it. I did reinstall a 1979 8-track, and there is an amp hooked up to the unit too.  The 8-track has been in and out several times as I have documented on this site.  But the sound seems like it is coming from higher up on the firewall than where the radio sits, kinda like right near the wiper motor, or the distributor.  I can't get my ear close enough to identify it further.  I might just have to take it to a shop to have them diagnose it.  I was hoping that someone might be familiar with what's all behind the firewall, or maybe if this sounds like a problem with the coil in the distributor or something like that.  The only time I have ever heard a sound like that is the blinker.  But like I said, instead of a blinker circuit, this sound sonly goes on and off every 20 to 25 seconds.

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
Ive totally rebuilt a few of these, i just put all the dash and wiring back in a 79,  theres just nothing there high up in the dash except duct work.. Did you un plug the wiper motor? There are two connection plugs on it..do you have delay wipers?

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
Ive totally rebuilt a few of these, i just put all the dash and wiring back in a 79,  theres just nothing there high up in the dash except duct work.. Did you un plug the wiper motor? There are two connection plugs on it..do you have delay wipers?

Ok so, if you look at the picture above, I unplugged the brown plug with the pink and white wires. The sound was still there. I didn't see another plug. I do not have delay wipers (that I know of).

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
Try the other plug on the right side, 3 wire , i think, thats the motor...

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
Or easier question, do  the wipers work right? Go through a cycle and then park themselves at the bottom?

Offline skip99

• mt, vernon, ohio
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
Ther is a 30 amp breaker on the fuse box, top left ,  that might be  shorted somewhere and be the sound of it breaking and resetting?

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
Ther is a 30 amp breaker on the fuse box, top left ,  that might be  shorted somewhere and be the sound of it breaking and resetting?

Wipers work at both regular and fast speed. Washer works. In fact, all electrical works except electric antennae. I'll try pulling the other power cables and the relay if I can reach it. Thx

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »
Found it!  I found a connection running along the fender near the brake booster.  I unplugged it and the noise stopped.  Attached are picture of the plug.  Anyone know what it goes to?

Offline SgtRock

• 1979 T/A WS6
    • Link to my photo album
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
Turns out this is the connection for my power antenna, which has never worked since I've had the car.  I guess somehow something jarred it and it kept trying to retract when the key was turned off.  I'll just leave this connection disconnected for now, since the antenna is not hooked up to my 8-track.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »
Good find.