Author Topic: 79 Trans Am ignition switch  (Read 3925 times)

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
79 Trans Am ignition switch
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »
Hey everyone i was just wondering how hard is it to switch out the igntion switch on my 79way trans am? Do i need to unbolt the steering column to get to it? If i do this do i still need to take out my gauges and other dash stuff? I figured i would ask first before doing alot of steps i dont need to. Thanks again for your time. Lets keep these birds on the road and out of fields, barns, and junk yards. ;D
4Saken

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: 79 Trans Am ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
just take out te bracket bolts holding the column up then drop a bit to remove switch, staill a bit of a pain but can do
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline 4saken

• I love Trans-Ams
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »
Thank you for your input. I will do that this evening or tomorrow. :D I had the car running. ran it for bout three hours and in the process of that time frame, it had over heated. the raditor was chock full of nastyness. so I flushed it and fixed that issue then when I was pulling out of my neighbors driveway, it stalled and when I tried to restart it a hot wire or something must of grounded out cause it started to smoke really bad from under the dash. I proceeded to look under there and sure enough the wires were all melted. not really bad but enough. so I fixed that isuue and now it acts like its not getting spark. So I'm going to install that ignition switch. See when it's cranking it will crank but it wont fire. then when I let off the key it trys to fire and spits out fuel from the carb. I will start with this switch and go from there. Thanks again will keep you posted. ;)
4Saken

Offline ta6point6

• going bandit-REYNOLDS style
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
Here is a good write up on steering columns
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24962.0
T hrashing  A ll
R icers        M ustangs  
A t
N ight
S tomping