Author Topic: A-Pillar Gauge Pods for '73-81 Firebirds -- See "The List" in First Post  (Read 21095 times)

Offline Orange 81 T/TA

• Living with CRS...
I posted this over at the 301 Garage and thought there would likely be some interest here, as well.

I've located a company that will custom-mold pods and pillars for any application.  According to their website, single pods can cost as little as $20, with full pillars as low as $39 (usually range from $40 to $60).  Minimum quantity as low as 20 units (some projects require a higher minimum).

They require an OEM part to mold off of (non-returnable), 4"x4" color samples (they'll actually paint them at their facility), and the gauge size/number to be installed.

My questions:

1.  Who would be interested?  I would need at least 20, possibly more depending upon the complexity of the project (which won't be determined until they receive the OEM part).

2.  How many gauges?  I was thinking 3 if they could fit 'em in there, most likely 2 1/16" gauges.

3.  What colors?  Obviously black, tan, red, gray, and blue.  Any other requests/recommendations?

4.  Does anyone have a good GM A-Pillar lying that I could buy to send off?  Mine isn't all that great, and I'm not real keen on sending my original to be the non-returnable sample...

I'm willing to be the "front man" on this deal, but only if I can drum up enough support to get the project rolling.  The first thing I need is a pillar to send off so they can determine the price point and minimum quantity.

EDITED TO ADD "THE LIST" OF THOSE INTERESTED:

So far, this is what I have ("maybes" indicated by question marks):

Orange 81 T/TA (obviously)
bluebyu64gp ?
Gunner
LOMILETA

As well as 7 members over at the 301 Garage.

If you'd like your name added to the list, PM me or post your interest in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:37:44 PM by Orange 81 T/TA »
Chase

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Offline bluebyu64gp

Re: A-Pillar Gauge Pods for 2nd-Gen Firebirds
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »
I'd be interested...in 2 5/8.  I'm getting older now and it's getting hard to see the 2 1/16 gauges.  Attached picture shows my modded dash and gauges in my 64 Prix.  The smaller are 2 5/8.  Maybe to big for a pillar pod...don't know, but sure makes it easier to see.

[attachment deleted by admin over 90 days old]
David
76 T/A
USAF Retired

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
piller pods are great on some cars but most T/As have all the gauges you need in dash already...just my .02
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Orange 81 T/TA

• Living with CRS...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
2 5/8" gauges may be too large for the pillar, but I'll know more when they get a chance to look at the "donor" pillar -- which I don't have as of yet.

FWIW, I'm mostly interested in the pillar pod for a boost gauge, A/F gauge, and/or pyrometer without using up my center A/C vents.  Trying to keep tabs on this Turbo motor...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:37:36 AM by Orange 81 T/TA »
Chase

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »
Might be able to hook you up with a donor when I get off this job. Something for a tranny temp guage and a vacume guage might be interesting. Don't know what I'd put in the third one as I'm planning on getting the stock guages in my car reworked and useing them my car.

Hey Orange, where are you in OKC. I work out of OKC and get down there from time to time. Perhaps we could hook up?

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline LeighP

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
Anvil Autos makes carbon fiber 2nd gen pillar pod arrangements...both early and late versions.
Regards,
Leigh
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455

Offline Orange 81 T/TA

• Living with CRS...
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »
Anvil Autos makes carbon fiber 2nd gen pillar pod arrangements...both early and late versions.

Their products look awesome, but I'm not sure $200-300 is in my price range...
Chase

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:31:57 AM »
Id run one if it matched my stock interior. Not into the carbon fibre thing.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline Orange 81 T/TA

• Living with CRS...
Re: A-Pillar Gauge Pods for '73-81 Firebirds
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
I got an e-mail back from them the other day.  They advised they're looking forward to working on this project.  They asked for some pictures of the part so that they can get an idea of any problems that may arise.  I'm going to snap some pics Friday and send them off.

I also spoke with them on the phone today.  They advised that they usually prefer to have 30 orders, but if we can secure 20 they'll begin working on the molds.  I'm going to order an extra A-Pillar on eBay in the next couple of days to keep from having to "ruin" a good piece of trim.  First impression is that these parts will probably end up on the lower end of the $40-60 price range.

I'll let y'all know what I find out when they receive the pictures.  Keep the ideas/suggestions/questions coming.  Any interest (even negative) is better than none...
Chase

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
I'm eager to see how this goes, I like aftermarket gauge setups in these cars.. Good luck Orange81T/A, I'd like to see this in production.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline xtrmeta

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »
Let me help you out. I don't think you would want two gauges in it. Three would be way to much because the pillar comes back so steep the gauges would be right in your face.
Heres one I made. Only took me a couple of hours to make.

76 Pro Street T/A, 8-71 Supercharged 454 Big Block Chevy, TH400 full manual. S&W Race Cars Super car rear, 4 link setup with coil overs and 4:56 gears.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »
nice fab work...did you use glass or is it all metal?
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Orange 81 T/TA

• Living with CRS...
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:26:25 AM »
That looks good, xtrmeta. 

I think there's enough room to squeeze another gauge in there.  After looking at your setup, I think you're right -- 3 gauges would be too many.  This company only makes pillar pods for 2 or 3 gauges.

For my own selfish reasons, I'm looking for 2 gauges on the pillar (Boost and EGT or AFR).

One advantage to going this route is that after the initial large purchase, the company will offer the pillar pods on their website (at a slightly higher cost).  So anyone could order one online, even if they're not part of the initial group buy.  It'll be a good thing for anyone in the future who wants to put more gauges in their car.

However, those interested will benefit by getting the lower price.
Chase

1981 Turbo Trans Am

Offline xtrmeta

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
I made it all out of metal. Then some filler to smooth it out. I made a second one with two gauges on it. I didn't like the way it looked. The top gauge set back to close to the driver and just looked odd. I have it around here someplace. I'll find it and post some pics.
76 Pro Street T/A, 8-71 Supercharged 454 Big Block Chevy, TH400 full manual. S&W Race Cars Super car rear, 4 link setup with coil overs and 4:56 gears.

Offline Orange 81 T/TA

• Living with CRS...
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
Just a small update:

I picked up a "donor" pillar today at American Camaro-Firebird Parts, and will be sending it off to the company ASAP so they can get started on a prototype.

EDIT:  Just shipped the pillar this afternoon.  Waiting to see what they have to say...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:25:51 PM by Orange 81 T/TA »
Chase

1981 Turbo Trans Am