Author Topic: wu engine code  (Read 445 times)

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
wu engine code
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:03:43 PM »
The Pontiac 350 I have has the engine code as wu..1970..manual transmission.
The wu code also dates back to 1967 for a 400 motor.(hitmans list)
http://www.78ta.com/enginecodes.php
1970 455 block (year one listing
 http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/vehicleinfodecoding/pontiacdecoding/pontiacenginecodes/tabid/323/default.aspx
Same casting?
Anyone ever build a 400 from a 350 block?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:08:12 PM by SavingTheBird76 »
HAVE YOU SMOKED A MUSTANG TODAY?

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
Re: wu engine code
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
Looks like I have a wh engine code. :P
Something doesn't jive here..oh well.
I took off the intake to look at the lifter area..looks clean.
50 is marked on the area above the cam..70 on rear pad by distributor...1970 350 block.
Looks like the motor has been rebuilt as the plugs near the cam are threaded plugs...not press fit.
No buildup in lifter area....valve cover area has some deposits...here is my dilemma.
I'd like to clean up the block without taking off the heads, change out the cam, lifters,push rods,intake carb and water pump.
Any good way of cleaning deposits off the heads with springs installed?
I'm guessing solvents would eat the seals?
no leaks of any kind seen...front/rear seal,valve covers,valley pan,oil pan etc..everything is tight.
I have everything except the cam and lifters and  push rods  from my T/A project.
Does this make sense?
I guess I should just remove the heads and change everything...but I don't want to spend big money on a 350.
The more engine I take a part the more it costs in gaskets etc to put back together.
I want to use this 350 in my LeMans project.
Thanks guys.
HAVE YOU SMOKED A MUSTANG TODAY?

Offline 72blackbird

• Adv. Member
  • Old Birds don't die-they get faster, corner harder
Re: wu engine code
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
I'll answer your first question - a 350P is a completely different engine from a 400, so you cannot just bore out the 350P to a 4.12" bore size (you'll hit water jackets). They do share many parts, like the 3.75" stroke crank, rods, oil pump, windage tray, timing cover, pullies and accessory brackets, but that's it.

I scored a running 71 350P cheap, but I still replaced the rear main seal, cam, lifters and timing chain and repainted it- no point in dropping a dirty, leaky engine into a car. This engine was going to go into my 72 Bird, but the 406 in there now is still happy, so why pull it? I'm planning to use it as a temporary engine to power my 76 TA.

If you have alot of deposits on the heads, you could pull the intake, valley pan, put rags or carboard and ductape in the lifter valley and scrape it clean, but IMO loosening up all of this crud is a bad idea- the small particles could clog a lifter or oil passage. Unfortunately the only way to properly clean heads is to remove and disassemble them, and then thermal bake or soak them in a hot tank. I wouldn't spend big money on 350P heads, unless I was going to put them on a 455 or upgrade to larger valves. The no.94 heads on my 350P have small valves and 96cc chambers and would need alot of work to have them make power, so they can just stay on the shortblock as is and continue to run happily on 87 octane.

Geno