Author Topic: Anyone Else Play Guitar?  (Read 7099 times)

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
Re: Anyone Else Play Guitar?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
I picked it up and played a bit today. Just scales and a few chords I somehow remember. Felt good to do it again. Like I said, I played all the time over the summer and could play pretty much all of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" without any major mistakes. But once school came around I got bogged down. Id post a pic of it but im having trouble with that right now. I know it's a Fender acoustic. My grandpa got it for me last Christmas. Was $275 or around there I believe. Most expensive gift I've gotten lol
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »
Well, you started a great thread, that's for sure! 

Trans Ams and good guitar just go together. I think Einstein said that.

rp

Offline 76T/AFLY

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »
I started at the age of 13, my uncle traded into a old flying V and hated it because he couldn't play it sitting down :-\  He gave it to me and I've played every since. I played in several bands from my hometown of Boston to San Diego where I was stationed in the Navy to here in Tennessee. I gave up the bar scene about 11 years ago, sold everything but my old Conn acoustic, an Ibanez RG and my longtime friend and first amp, a Peavey Reknown. Killer amp if you can still find a good one. Nowadays, I try to teach my daughters when they're in the mood to learn. It's still the best meditation and quiet time (HA!) to unwind. Oh yeah, played everything from rockabilly to heavy/hard rock. Major influence would be Randy Rhoads, Vai, and yup..Brian May from Queen. Play on buds.

Offline mikekop

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:35 AM »
I don't play, but I really wish I could! But I'm fantastic at Air Guitar!  ;D

As a side note, some of You might get a kick out of, especially rpguitarrepairs: I live in the same city in Sweden that they used to make the Hagströms guitars, also amps and accordions. Well know models are Viking (Elvis Presley played one in the "'68 Comeback Special" show) and the Super Swede. The grocery shop where I shop most is located in the old factory of Hagströms, next door is the Hagströms Museeum.
I am looking at getting a new reproduction of the Viking, to have as a home decor, and for my daughter to play, she is 12 and takes guitar lessons at school. The guitar she uses now is an acoustic my dad had, it's banged up and broken.
I'm not dangerous, I'm just plain ugly...

Offline deadfish

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
Hey rpguitar...... I have a friend that did some studio work with Zac some time ago. He used to live in the Atlanta area. He said they were all really great guys and yeah man, Zac is really good. I love his stuff. I'm not much of a country fan but i do a couple country songs in my shows. (just to feed the masses,lol)

NWW- ya gotta find time to practice. I used to fall asleep with my guitar in hand. (sometimes I still do) But I play at least 1 -2 hrs. a day. I make time. But then again, I love my Martins....

If I hang on and really give it  a go this time around...my next guitar will be a Martin D16 Adirondack. I saw a demo on youtube and the tone gave me chills...that's the sound I'm looking for!

Rick C.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:14:39 AM by deadfish »

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
I setup one of the D16s last fall and I really liked it. Here is a video of a D28-style guitar I built for my brother-in-law, I gave it to him at Christmas. It has Zirecote back/sides with a "bear-claw" spruce top. This is him fooling around with it that morning.

http://youtu.be/ck1pyQx7s0A

Offline deadfish

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Cool. My first ovation has the bear claw spruce top but my brother really ruined it...I loaned it to him for two weeks...FIVE YEARS later I got it back....could've cried...neck pulled away and half a$$ repaired, rossette peeling off...looks like he tried to take off the adhesive pick guard and pulled up the wood with it too...what a mess. I still haven't finished "trying" to fix it up. I even got a new rosette from Charlie Kaman's son but it's not the same. That D28 sounds awesome. I thought I wanted a Songbird untill I heard a few Martins. Still need to get my hands on one for the feel though. I'm holding off untill I have real cash to burn...otherwise the wife's gonna hate me!

Thanks for sharing,

Rick C.

Offline saltfuture

• No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
Hi.
I don't contribute much to this board, but I'm trying! Here's an old vid of my old band. I'm the fat guy with the mop hair and beard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_SRuV-_0vE

Hey RP! I also was a guitar tech for many years. I do it in my spare time now. Between working on the T/A and my 1980 KZ1000.

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »
Nice, wasn't Black Foot from your town?
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline saltfuture

• No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:13 AM »
They were from Jacksonville. But not too far away.

Creed is from here... Unfortunately...

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
I used to always do the Auto show there in Jacksonville every year.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »
That's freakin tight dude! Is that a Hagstrom? I just did a headstock repair on one of those, a kid dropped it in the parking lot walking out of his lesson. It was an ugly break too, so be careful with that thing... If it starts to fall, you should throw your beard under it to break the fall, haha! Sweet playing, man. Camcorders never to bands justice, but I could tell what you were up to.

Hey, post a picture of the KZ1000. I've loved them every since I was a little kid and watched CHiPs!!!

We've been going to Daytona every summer since for the last 35+ years, and the bypass bridge at Jacksonville is part of the traveling story. Now my kids think its the longest bridge in the world, like I did when I was a kid.

Oh, and that band name is over the top. Love it.  Blackfoot is legendary in Atlanta, too. 38 Special was from around in there, too, weren't they? Tom Petty, though not a southern rocker I think is from there? Something special in the sulfur water you kids drink down there  ;)