Author Topic: how the value of my 1977 S/E T/A ??  (Read 4318 times)

Offline pompon

how the value of my 1977 S/E T/A ??
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:50:51 AM »
i just want to know(because its not for sale)how the value of my 1977 pontiac trans am, black S/E,T/A 6.6 automatic no t-top(y81)only 549 produced...
around 90 000 original miles on it...pretty original paint,(60-70%)just a few panel are repaint because a little scratch,
very clean car and very no rust under the car...
power window,no air,no tilt stering,
original radio and he work good...
and i have the original contract of purshase of the car,
but i dont have the built sheet but i dont try to find in the car...
on the picture the car was dirty but its a very clean car...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:52:29 AM by pompon »

Offline O'Neall

• T-tops? We don't need no stinkin' T-tops!
Re: how the value of my 1977 S/E T/A ??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
WOW!  Those gold Rally IIs are very rare.  I only know of one other guy who owns a Y81 with them.
Well... as a fellow owner of one of the 549 W72/auto Y81s I can tell you what I think.  First off... despite our hardtops greater rarity, they probably won't fetch quite as much as an equally conditioned Y82... simply because people like the T-tops.  But hardtop cars do definitely have their fans.

Your car is in excellent shape and the W72 makes it even more desirable (if it was a 4spd even more so... but personally, I am in the minority and prefer automatics myself).  The gold Rally IIs are the real topper... that's what really makes your car extra rare.  Most people don't even know that was an option on SE cars... very cool.

Okay, as to value... just by looking at the pics of your car you provided (and not knowing anything about it's running condition, but assuming it runs good) I'd say you car would probably fetch somewhere around $10-000-$11,000 (maybe more if it's very mechanically sound).  It's fairly low-optioned (no AC, no tilt, etc), and that could either work for you or against you depending on the buyer.  A car just like yours completely restored (or a very well preserved low-mile original) would probably fetch somewhere around $25,000-$28,000... with $30,000 being possible if it was a 4spd.

For Y82s in excellent shape to draw in the upper $20k to lower $30k range is pretty commonplace anymore.  And while I've noticed the T/A market has softened a bit over the last year or when it comes to run-of-the-mill T/As... the SEs, TATAs, SDs, etc. are still pulling good numbers.

Great car!!!  :)
Jon O'Neall
1977 Y81 Trans Am
W72-400/Auto (1 of 549)
"Trans Am!  What's your pleasure?"

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:23:02 PM »
yes hard top Y81 cars do not have the respect in price yet but give it time nobody wanted SD trans ams in early 1980 either

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »
SD's are still worthless ;) :D...if anyone has one, I'll haul it away for free ;D

I prefer t-tops, too...but any T/A is a good T/A. Every car has value to someone :)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline pompon

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »
thanks guys
o'neall
you have one T/A  like mine??   1 of 549 aut....?
and what you mean when you say???...(WOW!  Those gold Rally IIs are very rare)
do you mean...gold rally,its come whit the rally wheels??
and if yes,its an option the rally wheels on the S/E car??
and the last thing i can said its....the car was in a very better shape than he looking on the pictures...
and if a compare my car whit another rare S/E  T/A no t-top aut. i see for sale...i think i can have between $18 000 and 22000$ for my T/A
and i can say here in montreal,canada  its very rare a old trans am in this condition...so im proud of this...lol
thanks agains
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:49:42 AM by pompon »

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 01:57:18 AM »
From what I understand, O'neal correct me if I'm wrong, the gold Rally II's were a delete option on the SE because the gold Snowflake was the standard wheel. I've only seen a couple pics of SE's with the gold Rally II wheels (including your's). If you can find the build sheet or if you can get the PHS docs to confirm every option on your car, it would command more at auction or if you were to sell it out right.
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline pompon

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:23:40 AM »
milly
yes my wheels are the original come whit the car...
because i find the original owner of my T/A and he give me the original contract of buy...and he tell me the car come whit this wheels in 1977...
im gonna try to find the build sheet...
and when i buy my T/A 1977 in febuary 2002 from the second owner,its not this wheels he have on the car,i buy my T/A whit the honey comb wheels...
but the guy who sell me the car,tell me its him he change the wheels for a beatifull one and he tell me he have the original rims of the T/A in the garage,so im take this wheels and after 1 week i put the original wheels on the car...so...yes its the original wheels the car come whit...
and check ont this page you gonna see me car 1 day after i buy in 2002,whit the honney comb wheels...
http://www.78ta.com/photo/visitor10.htm

Offline O'Neall

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »
thanks guys
o'neall
you have one T/A  like mine??   1 of 549 aut....?
and what you mean when you say???...(WOW!  Those gold Rally IIs are very rare)
do you mean...gold rally,its come whit the rally wheels??
and if yes,its an option the rally wheels on the S/E car??
and the last thing i can said its....the car was in a very better shape than he looking on the pictures...
and if a compare my car whit another rare S/E  T/A no t-top aut. i see for sale...i think i can have between $18 000 and 22000$ for my T/A
and i can say here in montreal,canada  its very rare a old trans am in this condition...so im proud of this...lol
thanks agains

Pompon... yes, I too have one of the 549 1977 W72/Auto Y81s... it's in the middle of a frame-off restoration right now (acutally more of a resto-mod, as I am not returning it totally to stock).

Your gold Rally IIs are a rare option.  The typical wheel on an SE is the gold snowflake wheel, but if option N67 was ordered instead (which is the RPO code for body colored Rally II wheels), SE cars came with contrasting gold wheel instead of an actual body colored wheel.  Like I said, I only know of one other SE car with them (a guy named Fred Schramm who runs www.pontiacpower.net).  His is also a W72/Auto Y81 just like ours.

As for pricing, $18k-$22k sounds a bit too much from my experience considering the pics you provided... but perhaps they don't do the car justice and perhaps up in Canada that would be more the going rate.  Here in the States I don't think you'd get that for it (by the way... I hope I am wrong and you are right... I'd rather my car was worth more than I think!) ;)

I know a guy who bought a 42k mile 77 Y81/W72 4spd car that looked like it had just come off the showroom floor for a bit over $20k.  I personally think he got a very good deal.  I think it was probably worth a bit more.  But my point is, there's a very fine line between the really nice cars and just nice cars... but the $$$ amount seperating their selling prices is significantly different.

Either way (unless you're wanting to sell your car) I wouldn't worry too much about it... as long as you (like me) love your car that's all that matters... and as time goes by they will all only go up in value.

Jon O'Neall
1977 Y81 Trans Am
W72-400/Auto (1 of 549)

Offline Solar78

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:46:48 AM »
Pompon -

You should PM Coolbird. He and I have put together a list of Y81's that we know are in existence some include some prices, miles, cowl plate codes, vin #, etc... that may help you.
We were trying to estimate how many of our "rare" birds are still in existence and were eventually going to write to HPP and see if they would do an article on them....

I love your gold Rally II's!! I didn't know that SE TA's had that option at all!!! I love Rally II's and didn't put them on my car because I thought SE's only came with the snowflake wheels.... but now I will have those "recreated" to slap on the beast so I can have the best of both worlds!!

O-neall - NICE WHEELS MAN! Those are something else... can't wait to see her done....you dumping any extra horsies into her?

"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline O'Neall

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:13:37 PM »
I am hoping that the motor doesn't need rebuilt.  The car only has 73k miles on it and the motor ran great before the resto and sailed past the very strict emissions testing we have here in Phoenix.

That said, I won't be adding anything internally to the motor since I won't be rebuilding it (fingers crossed).  However, the W72's 200hp rating was a pretty conservative rating and with a good dual exhaust and a quality carb & dist rebuild/set-up extra ponies are not difficult to come by even for an otherwise stock W72.
Jon O'Neall
1977 Y81 Trans Am
W72-400/Auto (1 of 549)

Offline Solar78

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 05:43:25 PM »
O'Neall - I have the same thing.. my car runs "well" so I don't want to bother but I hate to do it AFTER the car is painted!
DAMN MONEY ALWAYS RUINS MY PLANS! hahaha
===========================================================================
Hey Pompon can you do me a favor and slap a straight on photo of those rally II wheels on here.

I am seriously considering swapping my snowflakes out for a set of those bad boys since I have 15x8's on there now anyway...

Thanks..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:46:24 PM by Solar78 »
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"