Author Topic: a/c compressors  (Read 1084 times)

Offline 76ta4spd

• Yearning to see the open road!!!
a/c compressors
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:21:44 PM »
I am confused about a/c compressors. I looked on autozone's website to check on compressors. They have compressors from 99 bucks to almost 600 bucks. What is the difference between an a6 compressor and an r4 compressor. It seems the r4 ones are cheaper. I do believe that you get what you pay for but would just like to know the difference. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: a/c compressors
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
You're probably looking for the A6 (Axial 6) compressor for your car, right?
That's typically the larger unit found in 2nd gens...the R4 is the later/smaller "pancake style".
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Not really sure. According to thier site either will fit the car. I did a search for the compressor by make/model and both came up. That's why I was crious as to what the difference was. Is one better than the other or more dependable, etc....? I am pretty dumb with a/c systems. I can charge one and I am certified to recover but that don't really explain the systems tho. As usual, I am expecting the most expensive one to be the one my car requires. lol

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
The A6 is what I believe you'd want...O'Reilly's carries them also.
A remanufactured unit with clutch runs approximately $120-$160. (depending on size of pulley).
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
Thats not bad. I could actually swing that (finally sold the truck). I will be getting out there tomorrow after work and makin a list of the things that are missing from the car. I sure would like to be cool this summer.

James

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:15:15 AM »
I sure would like to be cool this summer.

James

James.........You will be cool this summer even if you DONT have A/C. You own a Trans Am!
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline 76ta4spd

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:31:28 AM »
Definately can't argue with that. lol

James

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »
the later model cars, like the turbo, and 80 t/as all had the smaller pancake style, and autozones system kinda runs some parts together.....but yes youll want the longer one, which actually ive heard from a few people perform alot better than the shorter ones...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....