Author Topic: No Power to distributor, No Spark at plug  (Read 9033 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: No Power to distributor, No Spark at plug
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »
He's cranking but there's not enough voltage getting to the distributor.

Offline OrangeCrush79

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
Hi Guys,
          After a brief visit to the emergency room at the local hospital, a shot in the butt and some pain killer pills, I'm feeling better. The doctor said I aggrivated my sciatica on my left side. I needed a couple of days of rest - that's why I haven't been posting.
     Like I mentioned in my previous posts, I now have 12 volts at the pink wire that connects to the distributor. I still have no spark at the plug wire. I will next investigate the distributor's parts and see why I'm not getting spark at the plug wire. I want to thank all of you for your help so far and hope to get my engine started soon.                                              birdlover7779

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »
You have 12 volts while cranking?  If so, then you either have a bad module (which can be tested), a bad coil (which can be tested) or a bad pick up coil (which can be tested). 

If you didn't do the test at the batt connector while cranking, you need to do so.

You didn't change the condenser with one of those modular ones, did you?

Offline OrangeCrush79

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 01:12:42 AM »
EURIKA!!!  I read through my new Chilton's repair & tune-up guide for 1967 to 1981 Firebirds and did the tests that you guys mentioned. I changed the module and the ignition coil. When I changed the old ignition coil, I noticed that the ground blade(center) was missing at the connector. It's between the red wire and white wire blades. A new ground blade was included with the new coil. After connecting everything back together, I did a spark test again and guess what? I finally have spark at the plug!!! I poured a little gas into the carb and turned the key and the engine came to life. Thanks to everyone at this forum for your help.  Jon Wiz

Offline kc79ta

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
Cool.... Glad to hear you got her. Thanks for letting us know your findings.
Keith