Author Topic: replacement dashes  (Read 4357 times)

Offline whiterabbit

replacement dashes
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »
It looks like OER has some replacement dashes available, I put in an order a few months ago as a back order and I just got them today! I havent had time to open it today so court is still out on quality but as I understand it the last batch was very good so I have high hopes. This is the 1970-78 dash repro.

Offline Transatrom

Re: replacement dashes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:04:16 AM »
I would be very interested in the quality, detail and fitment.  Please do take some quality photos of it and during installation.

Offline teenage bandit

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
Don't the stock radios from 79 up not fit?

Offline drtracer58

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
Don't the stock radios from 79 up not fit?
     NO ......
79 WS6-W72

Offline whiterabbit

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
I will take pics once its out of the box, I have to paint one of them. Final installation will be awhile. I wasn't expecting them any time soon, they just showed up without notification. I put in a back order because I didn't want to miss a release as it seems like they come in and go out really fast. As for the stock radio I have heard there have been issues depending on year, though this wont be a problem for me as i do not intend to put a stock radio in - the original one was kicked to hell during a botched attempt to steal it when I got the car back in the 80s and generally speaking unless a car is ultra rare I don't see anything wrong with modernization especially when it comes to creature comforts.

Offline Stringer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Cann't wait to see what you think and take a look at the photos.  I am plaining on replacing my dash later next year.  What site did you order it from and if you don't mind me asking what was the cost?  I have seen them rang form $600 - 800 and I have always wondered about the quaility.

Offline whiterabbit

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:33 PM »
I put in a order through OER a few months ago as a back order. you can set it up so when the item comes it auto bills and ships, which is what happened to me. I expected some kind of notification but pretty much the boxes were on my doorstep one day. At the time I put in the request they were 685 bucks each i believe. Before that they were priced at about 490 bucks and they ran out fast, then price jumped. Didn't want it to jump again! I had a refurb estimate from Just Dashes at about 1500 bucks, not counting shipping and such and assuming that your dash frame isn't somehow damaged or warped and needs fixing as well. I had read both excellent and nightmarish feedback for the work they do so I was a bit gun shy to give the service a go especially for a car that isn't really all that unique or rare. One recent comment I read said that the dashes fit well though some may have some minor wrinkling in the corners.. I think that's something I can live with. I plan on opening one of them this weekend as long as the torrential downpours are over and at that point I'll try for a side by side photo OP against the one I plan on replacing, hopefully that will give you something to go on.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »
whiterabbit, are you a dealer? I do not see how a regular customer can order from OER directly.

I was just asking Ames at the Trans Am Nationals and they didn't think there were going to be any more made for years. I will put in an order for one asap if the dash looks good.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline 81

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
I put in an order with Classic Industries and received notification that a dash was available 3 months or so later.  Once it arrived I found a nasty defect - the material just below the gauges had been stretched to the point that the grain was gone.  When I reported the defect to Classic I was told they may not have any more dashes for months or years.  A week or so later they had a new shipment come in and I was able to obtain a replacement that turned out to be just fine.  For some reason the "we wont have them for 2 years" keeps getting thrown out there, but they seem to have a batch every 3 months or so. 

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
Sounds like classic industries gets top priority on them.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Moonrocks1

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 06:15:12 AM »
I placed my order with Classic industries. They are currently running a sale through 11/1 that is 35% off orders over $300. Hopefully I will get it on the next shipment.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
Nice! I would love to buy a new dashboard but I'm now at the point where I'm focusing my cash on things that make the car drive better and faster. Hydroboost conversion is next on my list.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 03:39:36 AM »
Never did get those pics