Author Topic: 78 Front End Assembly Diagram/Photos?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline TA400FL

78 Front End Assembly Diagram/Photos?
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »
Happy New Year Everyone!
I am at the point where I need to mount my horns, A/C Condenser, and Radiator.  My assembly manual got ruined when we had flooding this past Summer and I never got a replacement.  Should have.  Anyway, would anyone out there have a diagram showing assembly detail of those parts?  The actual hardware breakdown for the condenser mounting points is what I am not sure of also.
Thanks!
ERIC

Offline TA400FL

Re: 78 Front End Assembly Diagram/Photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »
Me again.  I got the horns figured out but I know I need to secure the headlight/turnsignal wire loom somehow before I install the condenser.  I am not sure I have it routed across from driver's to passenger side.  It doesn't seem like it is sitting correctly.  It has two of those plastic loom retainers with the single post that would go into a hole, but I can't find any holes to attach them. 
Anybody out there give me some direction? 
Thanks.
ERIC

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »
The harness wraps around onto the front of the radiator support and runs along under top edge where more retainers are clipped. If you can wait about 3hrs I'll be home from work and can post photos or diagrams.

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »
That would be great.  The photos would be a big help.  I want to make sure I am routing it correctly so you cant see it through the grill.
  I got a whole new upgraded A/C system from Classic Auto Air.  It looks like I need to take off at least one of the side brackets of the condenser because they go in front of the radiator support?  I need to find those 4 double studded isolator bushings to mount it also.  They disappeared in the three years since I took everything apart. 

Thanks again for your help.  You have been keeping me going on this thing!

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »
By the way, does this condenser even use those rubber isolator bushings?

I have been trying tonight to maneuver the condenser to get those brackets in front of the rad support and having no success. 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:06:12 PM »
No, the stock condenser bolts to these brackets in front of radiator. Three bolts have nuts, one has a u-nut clip. Anything goes with the aftermarket parts if they are meant to mount as per factory or you have to make them fit yourself.

Radiator support AC condenser mount diagram by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
Same on a 79-81 model:

79 TA radiator support by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 07:34:57 AM »
Perfect photos!  I will get that harness tightened up when I get home this evening.  Also, do you have any tricks in getting the condenser brackets in front of the radiator support?  The mounting brackets and condenser is exactly like the stock part.  Looks like it has to be mounted before the bumper nose goes on?  Hope not.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:59 AM »
Yes, the condenser mounts from the front as per photos and diagram. I seem to remember attaching all 3 pieces in position rather than as a complete assembly, or at least having the brackets loose. Something was easier to move it into place that way. It's not a major issue to move that centre support or loosen it off if needed to slip it behind.

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
The whole bumper nose section is all final painted.  I would be worried to take that off.  I may loosen (or remove) the small screws that hold the brackets on the condenser coil itself and see if I can wiggle it in.  Then reattach everything.  I know it is not the correct method, but would like to keep the nose all bolted up. 

Thank you!
E

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »
The nose stays on, just loosen the support with horns on it.

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
That's great news.  I will be getting it in tonight!

Thanks!
E

Offline TA400FL

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
Well, I loosened the two screws on the bottom of the center bracket,, the  two attached to the nose bracket, and the two on top just forward of the hood latch.  The center bracket did not seem to want to move much so I took them out.....still does not want to move because it is wedged in with the nose  bracket.  Do I loosen the nose bracket bolts? 
When I put in the condenser I am attempting to put one side in front of the rad support, push it back behind the headlight and then swing the other side behind the rad support.   Problem is that I can't get the one side in far enough to have clearance on the other side.   I am obviously missing something.
Signed,
Stuck again!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
You'd think no one else was on these things.