Author Topic: wiring mix up from battery??  (Read 25910 times)

Offline medicman

Re: wiring mix up from battery??
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
So I bought a new lighter and guess what it works perfect. The only think I had to do and DO NOT HANG ME FOR THIS!! I had to cut the original connector off the orange/black wire. The new lighter had a different connection on it so, I had not choice.

I have put back the heater assembly, It works great.

I have put the cigarette lighter back and the rear defrost, They also work great.

I have put back the headlight switch and wiper motor switch. They also work great now.

I am hoping to put back the speedo cluster tomorrow and put the face plate back on. I will let you know how it is going.

I also noticed that the power does not go out now with moving the shifter around.  Could it be that when I plugged everything back in that solved that issue?

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »
Next time, rather than cut the connector off make a little stub wire with a blade on one end and the correct connector on the other.  Plug the blade into the old connector and the new connector onto the terminal.

You're making great progress!  You should be proud of yourself.

Offline medicman

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2008, 07:36:44 PM »
I still have the original connector and it makes sense what you said, I will put it back on and make the connector like you said.

Your right I have made some really great progress but I couldn't of done it without you and Joe. I would be shivering in a corner sucking my thumb is you guys didnt help me LOL.

Where would you hook up the main feed from the relays that the fella before me hooked up. Should I tap it into the heavy orange wire in the fuse box. Let me know what you think.

You wouldnt happen to have a picture of where the window relay goes would you. You said it was hard to describe and really hard to get to, so I you can help with that it would be great. I could just leave it where it is if all else fails.

Elliott

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »
I don't have a picture of where that relay connects but it connects on the passenger side of the steering column support towards the firewall.

On the power source for the window, it's up to you where to get the power from.  The original designer of that circuit envisioned power directly from the battery...but it would need to be fuse protected.

Offline medicman

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »
thanks, I will look at where I can get the power from.  out of curiosity, where would you get the power from?

I am guessing that there is some place on the steering column that has somewhat of a holder for the relay or bolt holes?

Once again thanks for all the help, I did not touch the car today, Its was a family day.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
There's a hole in the steering column support for that relay.  It's hard to see though.

As for power, I really haven't thought about where I'd get power from.  I would be tempted to run a line from the battery though.

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »

Hi Guys, sorry to duck out - I had to work all weekend.

First with regard to the relay for power windows. Hoghead
has two pics that help see it.

and then I read about the "orange" wire... I had to grin...

Here's the back of a fuse panel:

As to a "power" source, how about just a split off of one of the plug-in
add-on accessory connectors on the front of the fuse panel? like GM
itself did...

lemme catch up on the power interruption symptom?

Joe

1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »
Now that Joe mentions it...there is an unused accessory lead on the harness.  I'm not sure exactly where it is but I believe it may be the brown wire that also powers the blower motor. That may be a good place to pull power from.  But you should check the fuse to make sure it can handle that power.  Or, you could always tap into the original power source to the switch.  Now that I think about it, that's where I was intending to pull power.

Welcome back Joe!!!

Offline medicman

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »
Hey Joe, glad to see your back, hope work was good.

I am working days for Monday and Tuesday from 7am to 7pm so I can only work on the car at night.

I took off the center console and I found out why the car was shorting out. I dont understand it but I know what it is doing.

I get sparks from the shifter cable when I wiggle it??

When the shifter cable makes a good ground the car has full power inside, and when it does not both signal light indicators come on, the battery voltage goes low and the fan motor goes real slow also amoung other things.

Why is the car looking for a ground from the shifter cable?

I unhooked the shifter cable and it was hot?  Like I said, when I rub it against the bolts that hold down the shifter, all electrical problems go away.

Did I mention, I have the beer in the fridge!!

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
The only electrical thing I can think of at the shifter is illumination.  Is there a gray wire with a bulb?  The new power window wiring isn't anywhere near there is it? 

Maybe Joe has some ideas.

Offline medicman

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »

Ok here is what I am looking at, the grey wire is there and the illumination bulb is intact and works.

The relays are grounded to the shifter, I took off the ground and it made no difference.

You can see in one pic that I have the shifter cable resting on the shifter and it does not spark and the power is great in the car.

If I take the shifter cable off completely, the electrical goes funny in the car as I have mentioned earlier,

If I take the shifter cable and rub it up and down the sides of the shifter, it throws sparks.

I hope this helps.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2008, 09:29:05 PM »
Disconnect that ground wire for the power windows and measure it for current.  You could always try a jumper from that ground spot to the body of the car and see if you still get the same results.  I believe it's the power window mod that's causing the problem.  Don't cut anything though.  Get your volt meter and measure for current at the proper terminal of each relay...use the schematic.  Make sure the relay's aren't shorting out against the floorpan.  Double check the wiring to the relay's against the schematic.  It would be real easy to install a wire in the wrong slot.

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »

BINGO!

Someone thought the shifter assembly would make a good gound...

Many times sheeting with a gooy, tarry nature overlaps into/onto the
mounting holes for the shifter assembly. Great idea, bad execution. Looks
like the solenoids depend on the shifter assembly for a good ground.

Here's the deal folks, automotive circuits use the body/chassis as one side
of the circuit ( like a wire) and so a good metal to metal contact is required.

Either remove and clean the shifter assembly mounts or reroute the ground,
this may vanquish a good portion of your troubles.

and , ah, Molson is one of my favs, followed by LeBatt's. Be careful about
mentioning free beer, I'm an airline employee and can fly for free and have
been known to show up for less... <grin>

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com

Offline medicman

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
I disconnected the ground wire that feeds the relays from the shifter and it made no difference. I will have to check tomorrow night for the current, but the windows work fine so I not sure thats the problem. Trust me I will not cut anything!!

When you say measure it for current, do you mean when I disconnet the ground wire, you want me to put one lead on the ground wire and the other lead to the frame of the car and see if I get current?

I know the relays are not shorting out against the floor pan. They are screwed to a aluminun plate that is just sitting on the carpet. The carpet is new and has no holes in it where the relays are.

Offline medicman

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2008, 09:48:25 PM »
Hey Joe,

I will reroute the grounds tomorrow night, I will unhook them and just use a jumper cable for a test. Should I do the same for the illumination bulb also.

FREE BEER FOR YOU GUYS AND ALL YOU CAN DRINK!!!!!!!!!!