Author Topic: Power Windows on the 79 Won't Go Down  (Read 1559 times)

Offline 79BanditTA

• "Trans Am, What's Your Pleasure"
Power Windows on the 79 Won't Go Down
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:31:57 PM »
Okay guys, I replaced the power window switch on my 79 SE because it was non-existent... Now the drivers and passenger window will not go down. I can hear a click (relay?), but neither window will move. I have never had the windows down on this car, so I am not sure what condition the motors are in. Where should I start?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Power Windows on the 79 Won't Go Down
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 10:37:02 PM »
Might have to check the harness going to the motors, and spray the door hinges with wd40 and make sure there isn't too much gunk as they ground through the door hinges.
You can also test them by wiring direct to motors, one wire is up and the other is down, grounded through door. Add a new wire from motor, through door jam rubber and into cabin.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:38:55 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline 79BanditTA

• "Trans Am, What's Your Pleasure"
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »
Might have to check the harness going to the motors, and spray the door hinges with wd40 and make sure there isn't too much gunk as they ground through the door hinges.
You can also test them by wiring direct to motors, one wire is up and the other is down, grounded through door. Add a new wire from motor, through door jam rubber and into cabin.
Thank you! I will check the motors and go from there.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »
Disconnect the connector at the motor and measure for voltage when you move the switch to the down position.  Post the measurements and we can go from there.