Author Topic: 1980 1981 turbo trans am pace car  (Read 9598 times)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: 1980 1981 turbo trans am pace car
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 07:42:36 AM »
no you are not being smart i have never fooled with a turbo car all i know is that a turbo forces heat from exaust back into the motor to build pressure

Not quite right... A turbo does not force heat back into the motor. What happens is this....exhaust gas from both sides of the engine are routed up to the Turbo. From there it spins an impeller in the turbo itself and then exits the turbo to continue its path down the exhaust system. The spinning impeller sucks/draws air into the intake thereby boosting the total amount of air going into the car.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 09:49:37 AM »
Brian's right -- think of it as the *forcing* more air/fuel into the intake than would be normally possible.  The turbo "force feeds" the engine -- stuffs more into it -- and thus causes it to produce more power.

The turbo mechanism is actually two "fans" (or blower impellers) connected by a single shaft.  On the exhaust side, the impeller is driven by the exhaust gases after they have left the cylinder and are on their way to the tail pipe.  They spin the fan very quickly.  The shaft therefore turns just as quickly on the other end.  The "fan" (or impeller) on that end is located in the intake side, downstream of the carbuerator.  This fan is therefore taking air/fuel and compressing it into the intake manifold.  That's how a turbo force-feeds the cylinders.

Really, they don't WANT heat to be transfered from the exhaust into the intake.  Preferably the intake mixture would remain fairly cool, because the charge is denser and that carries more power than a hot mixture.  Some later turbo engines (not Pontiac) have "intercoolers" to help cool down this compressed intake charge and thus give better power.

The turbo "fans" and shaft spin at pretty high speeds, which is why it's important to keep them oiled and maintained by changing your oil at regular intervals.

So....that's the basics of turbo engine operation.  There are other aspects, like "waste gates" and such, but those are just variations and/or options on the basic turbo operation.

Rather than lose you in all of that, I'll just see if you have any questions about this idea so far...it's best to have a firm understanding of the process before we start branching out to other aspects of how it works. :)

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
Hey Rick,
My later Turbo engine in my Pontiac (1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am) has an intercooler. ;D

Just letting you know,

George  8)