Author Topic: TransAm_Stans 76 400 4sp Project  (Read 44552 times)

Offline shank0668

Re: TransAm_Stans 76 400 4sp Project
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »
Nice to know what you think of me.... Haha.  It looks pretty solid, but that door jam does not look right to me, but what do I know.

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
Good looking project and love the silver car. What up with all the blue suspension under the project car?

The PO told me he took off all suspension components & had them cad plated.  He also said his friend talked him into the blue paint.  He also says he regrets that decision.

I will have to take apart, blast & repaint.  

Stan
76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
Nice to know what you think of me.... Haha.  It looks pretty solid, but that door jam does not look right to me, but what do I know.

Your correct it is not right.  The car is not right in other places too.  May be in real bad shape sheet metal wise.  I will know once the 36 grit starts flying.

Stan

Offline shank0668

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
Oh by the way, I am truly jealous of your garage....

Offline JJKJ

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
Congrats Stan, looks like a great project.  400/4spd is a great combo.  I was a bit peed off at the $25 I paid in tolls going to Chicago and back for my purchase.  I don't feel so bad now with your $80 experience.  Look forward to seeing more pics as the work progresses.
John
79 Trans Am WS6

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »
That 1/4 looks pretty rough.  Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a lost cause.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Looks like a good project Stan.

BTW: That cell phone law has been in effect for a few years now for all of New York. This past year they added on texting as a ticketable offense so don't try that one either ;)

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
Finally have the car under cover.

Sanding commences on the 'morrow.

Stan

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 01:21:18 AM »
nice find.. Im going to watch this one for sure..
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 06:51:30 AM »
Dragged out my DA, board sander & high speed air sanders.  Only one worked was the High speed air sander.  Ordered new sanders & paper this weekend.

I think I have lined up a donor 79 TA if I have to replace full quarters & striker area panels.  Not sure if I need them yet. I will need a tail light panel though. Waiting on a brown truck. Sigh.

Stan

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
What I do know:

The previous "body man" (i use that term VERY loosely) sure screwed things up.  First thing I noticed was bondo over paint. Strike 1.  Second I noticed was incomplete welding of quarters & inner fender wells. Strike 2.  Third thing I noticed is the quarter was put over parts of the existing sheet metal with the biggest portion of the old qtr. cut out.  Strike 3.  I could go on about the holes in the striker area or the crappy patch panels in the tail light panel area, but I do not want to bore you peeps.

What I don't know.

I have a wet area that is on the passenger floorboards. Dont know where its coming from.  Kinda looks like it is coming from somewhere higher.  Pad between the heater box & firewall sheetmetal is damp.  I am looking for holes & cracks & poor seals but I dono yet.

To be truthful it really bummed me out.  So much in fact that I started looking for another car...

But alas, I came around & now I have a line on several different ways to proceed.

Found a gent thats about 5 hrs. away from me with a (he says) perfect shell.  I can cut that one up & apply it to my project.  This same gent knows where a 76 455 white exterior & blk interior car is.  Mmmm...  yummy.

Also found a 81 turbo car less motor & tranny that supposedly has an excellent body.

At the very least I am going to visit the gent thats 5 hrs away this weekend & come back with something so my project can proceed or terminate it & start another. 

He also has alot of parts for a 76 & a 79.  If you need something let me know by PM & the highest price you want to pay and your phone # & I will see if I can help you out. If I can get it cheaper than your high price is I will.  I am not looking to make money here, rather to help out peeps on this forum.

Till I type again...

Stan

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
Stan,

Without seeing your car in person I can only offer a guess on the dampness you're finding....heater core leaking. The good news is that its a relatively cheap fix. The bad news is you're going to expand your vocabulary a bit and spend a few hours replacing it.

Other than that, its *possible* that your cowl has some rust in it but we'd need pics to determine that.

I'd place money on the heater core being your culprit though. How is the coolant level in the radiator/overflow bottle?

As for the sheetmetal repairs by the "hack"...I wouldn't let it get you down at all. I had over 1" of bondo on the driver's side rear quarter around the wheel lip that was cracking when I bought the car. Turns out the PO decided that was a good fix rather than replacing the entire quarter. The opposite side had a replacement quarter installed. The "hack" who did that work to my car, only tack welded it in place - there were 1" gaps between welds. Shop #1 tried finishing up the welds only to have the whole quarter pop off the car! Luckily that quarter was in good shape so they just welded the whole thing back in place.

Keep that chin up! You've got a much better starting point than I had with my Y88. Just look at my floors:

Only thing keeping me from going through those floors was the carpetting!

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
Brian,

I did not even consider the heater core.  I had visions of resealing the windshield, pulling the dash apart etc.

What you say makes sense 'cause the "water" does not seem to be evaporating.  It is behaving just like a 50/50 H2O & glycol.  Kinda greasy & not evaporating. GREAT suggestion / observation!

Sounds like this is not an easy procedure.  Is there a "how to" somewhere from those that have been there before?  Might save a few 4 letter words! 

EDIT:  Never mind I found what I needed.  It does not sound like fun.  Easier, I am sure, than removing a windshield & resealing it!

Those floor pans look like swiss cheese.  I would freak out if I pulled the carpet up & saw that!  Good luck on your project!

Regards,

Stan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:52:59 PM by TransAm_Stan »

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
The latest Update:

Purchased several tools.  Air grinders, air board sander, Miller 180 welder, seam knife & several spot weld cutters.

I also made a trip to NC to purchase a 79 shell.  It will be donating full quarters to my 76. While I was there I also purchased a carb, nose cowl, horns, radio, tilt steering wheel & Rally rims.

Looked at the 76 455 but it was too far gone for the price he wanted.  He also had a 79 Formula with no motor & tranny he wanted to sell me.  I passed on that also. I am surprised I showed restraint...

I have never pulled any panel or replaced any panel on a car before. Hopefully between this forum & the Kevin Tetz Paintucation DVD's I purchased ( i got the full set) I can accomplish this daunting task. I am not here to make a 20 foot restoration. I am aiming for 2 feet!  :)

The fun starts tomorrow...

Until I have something new...

Stan

Offline shank0668

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
Wow stan!
Good luck