Author Topic: coupe to t-top??  (Read 13105 times)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Re: coupe to t-top??
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »
As far as tips go, someone kinda mentioned it above.  You have to use the front and rear glass to measure everything by.  I barely ever used a measuring tape, I just used the front and rear glass to place in and out of there until everything fit the same.  Now of course, the photos above were one way of doing it and the only photos that I had handy right now.  The other way to do it without really doing all of the measuring is drill out the factory spot welds on both the donor car and the car you are putting the top on.  That way there is very little measuring that goes on.  Now epsecially on the front, there is three layers that you have to work through and it takes a little longer, but you save time on the fitting at the end.  So, the chop top is easy at first, then tough at the end, whereas the drilling of spot welds takes alot of time up front, but easier at the end.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 08:26:57 PM »
I know there are spot welds back at the sail panels but what about the pillars in front?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »
Hm, I never saw any reinforcements when I gutted a '78 T/A with the hurst hatches, and I pulled out all of the original parts to resell off of it. Where did they reinforce? The thing was as rigid as a slice of bologna once I removed only the t-top frames. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious!

The only reinforcements I found on this car when I parted it out was some spray-expanding foam sprayed in the two peices of roof sheetmetal (obviously a previous owner job). It was just sawzall cuts other than that. Unless I got an early style hurst roof, I can't remember if it was the first version or the second. I still have the frames for the t-tops from that car in the garage, but I sold the t-tops.

My guess is the supports are only temporary so the car is stable without the roof.  Once the new roof is installed, the supports come out.

Offline AmFan

• Love them Pontiac's
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 06:35:11 AM »
This is a very interesting thread.  When I was having my 78 redone I bought an 81 firebird as a parts car and it had the t roof and all the associated parts.  I discussed the idea of swapping the roofs with the guy doing all the body work at great length.  He said that he could do it and assured me that it would look like no one ever touched the car.  Of course it would have meant a change order on his quote, but the extra $2k sounded very tempting.  I mulled over this for about 2 weeks before deciding not to do it, because I was unsure of how it would turn out.  Reading this thread makes it sound like the work is not that bad if you know what to do.  Kind of makes me think I should have done the swap.  Oh well.

tom

1978 Trans Am
Bought April 2001
Restoration: 2001 - 2004
Summer enjoyment ever since

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 12:04:56 PM »
I was quoted $700-$1000 for the swap by a very reputable shop about 2 years ago. I'll still have it done but plan to tackle it myself at some point since I'm not gonna' farm out any of the work
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
One thing I know.  There are twice as many spot welds in the floor pans of a T-top car vs. a coupe.  This is to help support the body mid section where there is not a frame, to keep it from twisting I assume.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline AmFan

• Love them Pontiac's
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 06:39:05 AM »
One thing I know.  There are twice as many spot welds in the floor pans of a T-top car vs. a coupe.  This is to help support the body mid section where there is not a frame, to keep it from twisting I assume.

Would subframe connectors provide the same effect?  I have them on my 78, they came with the car when I bought it.  I've never driven a 2nd gen TA without subframe connectors so I don't have anything to compare to.

tom
1978 Trans Am
Bought April 2001
Restoration: 2001 - 2004
Summer enjoyment ever since

Offline dredden17

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »
Anyone know of someone in Western New York that would do this swap over for me?? Would try myself but seems like one of those jobs that I would be better off letting someone reputable doing. Thanks
'79 Trans am/ 400, 4-speed
Nothing like a pontiac 400 and a four speed to spend a day cruisin with!!!!

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »
I can do it for about $1200 to $1400.  I am not in Western New York, but I am in Eastern Ohio.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline logikfive

• http://www.myspace.com/logikfive
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »
Anyone know of someone in Western New York that would do this swap over for me?? Would try myself but seems like one of those jobs that I would be better off letting someone reputable doing. Thanks

Just curious, what part of WNY are you in?

'88 Conquest 2.6L/Turbo @22psi | '99 Durango 5.9L SLT Supercharged @8psi
'76 Trans Am 462ci | '78 Trans Am 455

Offline dredden17

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 10:09:06 PM »
I live about 10 miles west of Attica. In a little town called Strykersville

Offline logikfive

• http://www.myspace.com/logikfive
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »
Ah, no kidding. Not too far from here!

'88 Conquest 2.6L/Turbo @22psi | '99 Durango 5.9L SLT Supercharged @8psi
'76 Trans Am 462ci | '78 Trans Am 455

Offline dredden17

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »
Really?? where you from logikfive??

Offline Magnum

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 11:05:59 PM »
curious, what differences were there between the camero's and the t/a's? would a camero t-top swap work for a t/a coupe? did they put in hurst or fisher or? in the camero's?
Jason
'78 Y82 S.E. W72 4sp
longing 4 the road

Offline Tbird

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 11:58:25 PM »
Hm, I never saw any reinforcements when I gutted a '78 T/A with the hurst hatches, and I pulled out all of the original parts to resell off of it. Where did they reinforce? The thing was as rigid as a slice of bologna once I removed only the t-top frames. Not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious!

The only reinforcements I found on this car when I parted it out was some spray-expanding foam sprayed in the two peices of roof sheetmetal (obviously a previous owner job). It was just sawzall cuts other than that. Unless I got an early style hurst roof, I can't remember if it was the first version or the second. I still have the frames for the t-tops from that car in the garage, but I sold the t-tops.

The foam is factory, its in the roof of my 78 with the Husrt Hatch's. I know the history of my car and can assure you its factory in mine.