Author Topic: 1980 trans am restoration  (Read 11953 times)

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Re: 1980 trans am restoration
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »
lol  Thanks bud. Though that may be one too many manys. lol

I'm just messin with the guys. ;)

Merry Christmas!
Larry

Offline Mwieczorek

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007, 07:42:19 PM »
I have to agree with Larry on this one, I started reading this thread and thought, "Hmmm... everyone is assuming its a Chevy 350, I wonder if it's a Pontiac 350 in there?"

All the "restore it to stock" or "make it your own" comments aside, that Pontiac 350 is a perfectly good motor.  They can be built up just like any other Pontiac.  They seem to do well with small valve, small chamber heads.  Those 7H1 heads should have 1.94" intake and 1.77" exhaust valves and 80cc chambers, they can be worked over to perform very well.  There's plenty of potential in that engine if you do a little work to it.  It has a lot more power producing potential than the 301 that was installed at the factory.  (Not knocking the 301, just stating a fact.)

As for your rear end, the GM33 code won't help much, there is a code stamped into the passenger side axle tube that will give us a clue.  Or, if its not readable, put your rear up on jack stands, put the car in neutral and spin the rear tires.  Count the number of times the driveshaft spins per one turn of the tire (a white paint pen helps to mark the driveshaft for this).  If it spins 2.5 times, you have 2.56:1 gears, 2 and 3/4 turns would be 2.73:1, if it spins 3 times, you have 3.08:1 gears, and so on.  When you turn one tire, if the other spins the same direction, you have a positraction differential in good health.  If they spin opposite directions you have an open rear end or your positraction clutches are worn out.

Hope this helps.  Post up all your other questions and we'll all do our best to help you!

Matt
Doing what the factory didn't is the essence of hot-rodding.

Offline caseyjoe5

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2007, 10:09:36 PM »
The only numbers I could find on the rear end were GM33,  D110,  1254333.  I believe the wheels spun opposite when I tried them.  I'm having a blast working on this car.  I'm not real sure what direction I will end up going with it, so I really value all of your opinions.  I would like to restore it to original, but it would cost much more to do so.  To do it right.   Like everyone, I have some budget restrictions, two kids in college and a wife.  LOL    Here are a few more pictures.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »
Hmmm...could it be that we've found Hammer's hood pins that went missing? :-\ :-\ D

Offline 1981turbotransam

• trubo charged pace car
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2007, 11:49:26 PM »
just take it one stpe at a time and u can put it back stock if u want to
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN TO LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR A FRIEND
1980 Indy Pace Car Turbo Trans am 301T
1977 Pontiac Trans Am 400 Auto SE Hardtop
looking to buy a 1980-81 Trans Am

Offline Mwieczorek

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 10:28:21 AM »
Ya know...  You could always make a sleeper out of it.  Make it look stock, paint it stock, put stock wheels on it, and get the interior as close as you can, and build the heck out of your drivetrain.  Then you'd have a Pace Car with performance to back up the looks...  8)

IMO, that would be SWEEEET!

Matt
Doing what the factory didn't is the essence of hot-rodding.

Offline gregh

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 05:55:32 AM »
Good project I love how it was all primered but they left the little circle of white on fender where the pace car insignia is. 

Offline caseyjoe5

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »
When i got some of the crud off the rear axle, I found 5PO G107 stamped on it.  I believe it to be a 3.42 posi rear end.  Does anyone have this rear end on their car, and if so how do you like it?

Offline turbota400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 02:34:11 AM »
Ya know...  You could always make a sleeper out of it.  Make it look stock, paint it stock, put stock wheels on it, and get the interior as close as you can, and build the heck out of your drivetrain.  Then you'd have a Pace Car with performance to back up the looks...  8)

IMO, that would be SWEEEET!

Matt

It's fun to do also without having to worry about having everything match.  That's what I'm in the process of doing with my Indy T/A.  T hanks for the pics.  Keep us posted.
Shawn
1972 Chevy C-10
1980 Trans Am Pace Car - 428 ci Poncho in the works
1992 S-10 2WD- Work Bomber/Gas saver
1997 Chevy X-cab 4x4 - Vortec 350

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
looks like somebodys gonna need some sheetmetal !
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Sabbra_Cadabra

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
I have a 1980 Indy pace car myself, and although many people are urging me to go original with it (paint, interior etc.) I just don't think I want to.

Who's to say I couldn't paint it a different color and still maintain the Indy pace look(decals etc.)? It would be an interesting twist... Well, at least I think so.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 08:27:48 PM »
I have a 1980 Indy pace car myself, and although many people are urging me to go original with it (paint, interior etc.) I just don't think I want to.

Who's to say I couldn't paint it a different color and still maintain the Indy pace look(decals etc.)? It would be an interesting twist... Well, at least I think so.

Well...I'd agree...and people DO that...but then when they want to sell they try to cash in on the "pace car" aspect of it -- and that's when the originality comes back to bite them.  A lot of people use their cars as a form of expression, which is as it should be.  But keep in mind that one man's dream is another man's nightmare (we've all seen a few examples on eBay) and that's why original-looking stuff commands the higher prices -- it's right down the middle of "normal". ;)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
no doubt it run into more money restoring a original Pace Car. However it would be worth it in the long run... Just take your time little by litte it all comes together. You would be surprised what you can sneak in under budget funds... remind family members for birthday, valentines, fathersday, etc request parts you need that do not come from budget funds.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A