Author Topic: '79 Anniversary T/A advice  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
Re: '79 Anniversary T/A advice
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
Hello
I wanted to get some advice from some of you that have restored or modified some T/A's. I want to take a Trans Am and through time basically build a similar car to the Burt Reynolds T/A or at least a cool pro-touring T/A. I found a 79 Anniversary for a good price. Once I start the project I don' t plan on getting rid of the car.
 However I was wondering if taking a the Anniversary car and modifying it instead of restoring it to new condition was a bad idea? Or should I just get regular T/A and modify that?
Obviously it all comes down to what I want to do. However I thought I would get other T/A fan's opinion.
Thanks

I think if you found a TATA for a good price, buy it, and if you don't like the TATA look, do what you want to do with it. It'll be your car after all. The nice thing about a TATA is that it normally comes loaded with all the goodies on it right from the start. And the mirrored t-tops are cool too. There are plenty of low mileage and restored TATA's around, so nobody will miss one :) .
Steve F.

Offline sl1jackson

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »
Grand73am
Of course I was thinking about that, and I'm still not against that idea. TATA do have some really cool options that I like. The one one ebay was sold for $7k and the other one that I'm kind of looking at is about $12. The truth is though I like the 77-78 front ends. It seems hard to find a decent price. I want a driver, not a show car, and not a total wreck that you can drive around the block.
And of course every guy that has a black T/A is calling it the SE! Then there are the ones that think there 79 is a 78 and want more money b/c of it!
I guess everyone deals with this when looking for the car they want.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »
I don't think I'd pay $12K for one and then have the expense of changing the nose, a repaint, and re-upholster and re-color the inside to make it how you'd like. That seems a bit high as a starting point to me. I was thinking you'd be buying it for a lot less. Once you did all that work on it, you'd probably have so much money in it, you could've bought a good 77-78, and with a Pontiac engine  :) .
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:11:02 AM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline PA Formula 78

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 11:26:39 AM »
you won't get the answers your looking for on this site really.  I am like you and don't like to have a factory original car, where a majority of the guys on this site are against that.  Most want to keep the car as factory looking as they can.

I would tell you get which ever car you want, and do to it as you please.
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD (daily driver)
78 Pontiac Firebird Esprit - mild 350, 4-speed, hardtop
77 Plymouth Volare - mild 318, auto, t-tops
64 Plymouth Valiant - built 360, push button auto (future project)

Offline sl1jackson

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
 ;D Well if I had it my way I'd have a completely stock 77 SE that was  like new and BRE T/A.
The BRE is what I'm aiming for in my modifications. I figured at first for the very least I could get the BRE stance and worry about the rest later.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:46 PM »
thats why i mentioned a protour TATA. not something you see everyday.
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

D.suige

79 Anniversary T/A advice
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 05:37:50 AM »
im in the middle of stripping down my mini interior, and i have come to the top dash rail.  there are 3 bolts holding it on, and the bolts are so rusty, theyre spinning the bolts.  there doesnt seem to be anyway of getting to the bolts

any advice on getting the bolts off?

cheers