Author Topic: 1978 Esprit Rarity???  (Read 2655 times)

Offline 78Esprit

1978 Esprit Rarity???
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
I have a 1978 Fire bird Esprit and I am curious if the car by any chance is rare.

it has a 305 chevy 2bbl 3spd and a posi traction diff. The color is Martinique blue with blue cloth interior. The car has the spoiler and split exhaust pipes. It was ordered with the 15x7 snowflakes. No a/c, no power windows, no tilt steering. it has a full size spare in the trunk with 40 year old air still in it. wood grain dash and Rally gauges! The speedometer and odometer is in kilometers because this is a Canadian car. Built in Norwood. If any other information is needed i can try to provide it. I haven't found the build sheet yet. I have never seen another Martinique blue esprit other than 2 i saw on the internet that were in bad shape and i haven't seen one with the rally gauges. Thanks!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 1978 Esprit Rarity???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:52:12 PM »
Not at all common by now, everyone wanted a TA and many Esprits became TA wannabes in the next 40 years. Sounds like it still has a few options, although luxuries like A/C and power features were often seen in Esprits, whereas rally gauges, not so much. It would be the only one turning up to a car show.

As far as this table shows, 1978 was the highest production years for the Esprit, they are now uncommon for any year.

http://nookandtranny.com/ProNo_7081Firebird.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:55:37 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
Very Cool...I have the 79 Esprit with a 301, spoiler, rally wheels, rear spoiler, tilt steering, and T-Roof...no AC or power windows and mine never had the gauge package or the split tail pipes and it has been in a pile unbolted parts for close to 20 years now...I also intend on making it a T/A clone but the body was in too good of shape to pass on it. I'm in Northern Ontario Canada so rust free cars are super rare.

as mentioned and was told to me, the Esprit is rare, yes, but not really that desirable so it makes it harder to sell afterwards if that's your intent. If you intend to keep it then that isn't an issue.

Good luck with it
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:07:17 AM »
Not as rare as a new member returning to read posts they have wasted others' time for. Time to get off these forums.