Author Topic: 1978 T/A Restoration  (Read 4252 times)

Offline derekm658

1978 T/A Restoration
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »
Recently purchased 1978 Trans Am, no motor or trans at the moment(eventually going the LS route), seems to be fairly solid, needs a pair of quarter skins and rear floor pans, hurst t-tops, originally a Mayan Red car,  all in all should make a fun project later this spring/summer!

Offline NOT A TA

Re: 1978 T/A Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:16 PM »
Welcome! Post up project pics as you move forward on it.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline derekm658

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
update- Got the car home and pulled the seats and carpet out of it, it had brand new carpet laid overtop the original, seats are in good shape considering how long the car has sat, once carpet was out the extent of the floor damage was a little more than I thought, the rear drivers side needs replaced and the passenger side is gone enough I'm going to replace the whole side, all the crossmembers on the underside are savable and floor sections are on the way. after going through the car pretty extensively pretty much all the outer sheet metal is junk and will need replaced, fenders, quarters, deck lid, trunk floor, passenger door has at one point had the latch welded to the door shell...drivers door is savable but needs a skin, plus side rockers, wheelhouses and rear frame rails are all in great shape, heres a few pictures of the floor sections I will be replacing

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:43:38 AM »
cant wait to see finished....

Offline derekm658

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »
got the floors in yesterday, after I tackle a few wiring issues with the garage its time to get started

Offline derekm658

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »
dropped the floors into place and I'm pretty impressed on how they fit, hopefully next weekend ill get the old rusty sections cut out and spot blast a few areas before I get everything welded in

Offline derekm658

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »

Offline derekm658

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:37 PM »
update on the floors, got the garage rewired and got a good start on replacing a few things, first...drivers side was the lesser of the two evils on this so I started with that by replacing that old rusty swiss cheese floor with a nice solid patch from classic industries, after cutting the old sheet metal the crossmember was in good shape and cleaned up well, after some prep work on the existing floor and new patch it was time to weld and just like that, druvers side was solid again, some clean up on the welds and a good cleanup on the entire drivers side floor I went ahead and gave it a nice coat of POR15, I'm happy with how it turned out, now onto the passenger side. if anyone wants more pictures or has any questions feel free to ask I'm only posting the before and after pictures here unless someone wants more

Offline Bman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
Nice work! Any updates?

Offline derekm658

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
Finished up the floors, moved onto the drivers door and replaced the skin, shell was in decent enough shape to save, after swapping out new upper and lower hinges got the door fitting, opening and closing nice....next was the drivers quarter, cut off the old quarter to find the dropoff and wheelhouse needed replaced, that's where it's at now, need to weld he wheelhous and drop off in then put the quarter skin on it, I will post pictures tonight.