Author Topic: Is there a difference between Trans AM and Firebird Trans AM  (Read 11761 times)

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Is there a difference between Trans AM and Firebird Trans AM
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:36:24 PM »
The engine shown in the picture is a Pontiac V8.  The way the coolant crossover pulls up to the water pump housing is very distinctive.  The problem is that there's no way to tell what displacement it is, since Pontiac V8s all look the same from that angle.  It could be anything from a 265 up through a 455.  I'm not certain you could tell if it was a 301 from that angle, since I've never owned one.  You need to check all the stamps, casting numbers, and look for the displacement size that's cast into the block on the driver's side underneath towards the front.  That will tell you what it started out being -- but it could also have been bored and stroked so there's no way to actually tell unless you disassemble it.  In most cases just establishing what it was originally is close enough, though.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »
Saved the pic and zoomed it in............Didn't see a filler neck at the front of the block so I'd guess that it's a 400.

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline m1432

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
I was hoping that it was at least a pontiac motor. When I get the car on friday I will get some better pics of everything. I can not wait to get started. I really appericate all the information that is on this website forum. Everyone is eager to give tips and pointers. I will deffinately be around here for the duration of the restoration and probabily even longer.
Phillipians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 07:24:01 AM »
you will be stuck. and then you will find your restoration time spent on here lol
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline m1432

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
Yea my wife is already acusing me of that. She asks how I can spend so much time reading about the same kind of cars and that I dont even have the car at home yet. She asked me last night if I will be spending more time on this site or more time in  the shop. My answer was, this is why I got a balckberry phone with unlimited internet access, now I can be on-line and in the shop all at the same time. I had that planed for some time now. ;D ;D
Phillipians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »
i am stuck with dial up and i also have a phone line in my shop so it dosent matter where i get online at when i am home
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »
Congratulations, if it's a 400, you'll see 400 stamped on the drivers side of the block.
Rich