Author Topic: 79 Power Window Won't Go Up Completely  (Read 5732 times)

Offline sdrelf

79 Power Window Won't Go Up Completely
« on: October 28, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
I just had my 79 Driver and Passenger windows changed.  Driver's side won't go up all the way, stops about 1/2" short of the top.  Garage that did the replacement feels motors are going.  I am considering changing motors and putting in the Painless relay switch system at the same time.  Is there anything else aside from a "bad motor" that could be preventing the glass from going up the last half inch or so? 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 79 Power Window Won't Go Up Completely
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 01:45:33 AM »
Unlikely. The motor may be weak but bad window track alignment or overly hard fuzzy guide blocks may be helping find its limitations. Switching to relays will find a little extra punch but still needs setting up correctly.

Offline Stringer

Re: 79 Power Window Won't Go Up Completely
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »
If the window is not adjusted properly it can bind on the window seal as it goes up. It has happened to me on my 79.

Over the years I have had to remove the windows a couple times for various reasons. Then I had to get them to seat properly in the 40 year old "grove" in the seal. These windows can be very finicky to adjust. They literally can be adjusted in all directions because the window tracks can be independently adjusted (in-out-side-to-side).

The best procedure I have found to adjust the windows is to: Loosen all bolts, track window stops, and felt window guides. Then close the door, roll up the window, and ensure it is seated properly (you may have to position it some by hand). Then with the door closed tighten the window stops and all bolts. Next push the window felt guides so they are resting against the glass, but not a lot of pressure, and tighten. This will get you real close to where you need to be.

Final adjustments can then be done by opening the door and roll the window up and down a few times and adjusting the felt guides as necessary. Then, open and close the door with the window up to ensure it is closing correctly. The window could be "tilted" in too far and adjustment of the rear track (in and out) may be needed. This tilt could be your problem it can put pressure on the window glass via rubbing against the seal as the window rolls up. Pulling the top of the track in will "tilt" the top of the window out. Pushing the top of the track out will "tilt" the top of the window in.

Like I said they are very finicky but with a few trys you will get it.

Note: The glass can also be moved back an forth. If it is too far forward it may strike the rain gutter when closing. If it is too far back it could strike the chrome on the rear edge of the window seal when closing. You should watch for that as you first open and close the door when making adjustments.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:00:43 PM by Stringer »