Author Topic: Puff of smoke when I turned on my headlight switch  (Read 1397 times)

Offline rickspiller

Puff of smoke when I turned on my headlight switch
« on: September 15, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
Just picked up a 75 TA. Was checking out the lights and when I turned on headlight switch, I saw a little bit
of smoke coming from around the bezel. Turned off. Plan on pulling switch out tomorrow. Also, disconnected battery.
Car was sitting along time with previous owner and I do not think he ever had it out at night to use headlights.
Would anyone know WTHeck this would be?  Thanks

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Puff of smoke when I turned on my headlight switch
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:11:04 AM »
could be several things. Check if headlights have been upgraded or still original sealed beams. Could be switch on the way out, they get old, can be bad earth, or where gauge cluster grounds onto switch not making a good contact. Inspect the wiring going into the switch plug to see if any discoloured from heat, only have to be slightly worn or overheated and then shorts can occur.

Offline rickspiller

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »

thanks for tips. Headlights look like sealed OE type.
Going to remove dash bezel this week and inspect all including fuse block.
BYW- For headlight switch, once the control knob is released and pulled out (via push button on top Ihave read...)
will the switch simple come out the front?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 02:59:04 PM »
It will release the knob only. You then have access to threaded bezel that holds it in dash facia. Unplug the switch, unscrew the ground strap and pop the knob back in so headlights turn off, in whatever order suits.