Author Topic: Your Thoughts and opinion please 79 TA  (Read 1794 times)

Offline yeller

Your Thoughts and opinion please 79 TA
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
 Hello, name is Dan. I am new to the Forum. My dad and I are restoring a 79 trans am. 403 olds. 83k miles. The car is in primer and ready to paint. The original color of the car was sundance yellow. It has been painted burgandy with gold decals and SE stripes before we bought it about 18 years ago. We are bringing the bird back to its original color.
Now, my questions are, "How do I know which color the decals were and also if it had a stripe kit. Not sure if it was a SE car. How do I find out.
It is a Non T-top car with camel color interior.
After looking at pictures online, I tend to favor the silver and black decals on the yellow instead of the red decals, but how do I find out what color was on the car originally, and if it had a stripe kit?
Also, I will post pics of the project soon. Thanks

Offline Gold79ta

• Adv. Member
Re: Your Thoughts and opinion please 79 TA
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
Try to find the buildsheet usually under the back seat(thats where I found mine)

Or on the gas tank.

Offline solargold

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
Your car being a 79 originally yellow would exempt it from the SE category and thus no stripes (though a dealer could have added them). The bird color usually, but not always, would compliment the interior (red interior red/orange bird or black interior black and silver bird).  I do not think I have ever seen a yellow car with the gold graphics but that would compliment the interior best. Find the build sheet or order PHS
L8R G8R

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
Try to find the buildsheet usually under the back seat(thats where I found mine)

Or on the gas tank.

I agree the build sheets are under or behind rear seats and I've heard on top of gas tank?, but I have never seen one there.
Did you check hitmans site of data tags that will tell you a lot
 Post some pics I love seeing the progress people make,
http://www.78ta.com/cowl.php

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
One more color combo I have seen is the Gold Bird with Tan interior.  Very Nice looking as well!

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »
Your car being a 79 originally yellow would exempt it from the SE category and thus no stripes (though a dealer could have added them). The bird color usually, but not always, would compliment the interior (red interior red/orange bird or black interior black and silver bird).  I do not think I have ever seen a yellow car with the gold graphics but that would compliment the interior best. Find the build sheet or order PHS
x2  Most yellow T/A's I have seen over the years came with the red/orange graphics. I can't recall seeing a yellow one with any other color, but I'm sure there probably was.

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »
Welcome to the club! Having a not-too-common color T/A has its advantages...glad to hear you are looking to go back to Sundance Yellow!
1975 Formula 350/4spd
1979 T/A, W72/4spd, Black/Red
1971 Firebird, 350/Auto, Red/Blk
1977 Trans Am, W72/4spd, Goldenrod Yellow

Offline yeller

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:37:49 PM »
Thanks guys for the help. ill have to check those spots. if that dont work ill have to call phs. also. whats the best way to paint the TA with the spoilers and decals with the welting? Were thinking about spraying the shell. Let it dry. put the spoilers on. then color and clear. put the decals on after.

Offline solargold

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »
Decals definitely last and I would wait several weeks before applying giving the paint time to breath. When mine was painted I applied the welting to the spoilers and painted them off the car. Be sure to use some flex in the paint if using the original parts.
L8R G8R

Offline yeller

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Thats a good idea. thanks