Author Topic: Time to Replace the Exhaust...  (Read 1981 times)

Offline 1980MNT/A

• 1980 - WS6, L37, CC1, Tahoe Blue, Camel Cloth
Time to Replace the Exhaust...
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »
Hey Guys,

I guess this needs to start with a little story, last fall when I bought my Trans Am, I needed to get it appraised for my insurance company.  The place I brought it to is in the older part of Minneapolis and required me to drive into the building (garage) since there was no parking lot.  As I drove up the concrete ramp, I heard a terrible scraping noise on the bottom of the car.  I had bottomed out the exhaust on the sloped driveway (ramp).  Of course, it did the same thing coming out.  This was only the third time I had driven my Trans Am, so I made a mental note to be aware of the terrain in my path for future drives!  ;D 

Anyway, after this incident, the exhaust system had an obvious leak in it.  I had a chance to get it jacked up a couple days ago and it turns out the pipe between the cat and the muffler had some rust on the seem and split about 6 inches (along with some nice sratches on the cat!).  I'm not sure if I caused the split, but either way the exhaust needs to be replaced.

I used the search feature here and read through about 10 pages of posts regarding exhaust systems.  What I want to do is replace my stock exhaust system with the EXACT same thing (or at least as close as I can get) from the cat back.  After reading all the posts, here is the conclusion I have come to:

- Have a muffler shop custom bend the exhaust system to ensure fit and authenticity.
- Bring the muffler shop my own chrome tips and muffler for installation.
- Get the chrome tips from Pypes Exhaust because they have the best fit, quality, and are closet to the original.
- Route the emergency brake cable OVER the exhaust pipe.

I do have a couple questions however that I would appriciate any help with...

- I still need to find a muffler.  I would like something as close to stock as possbile (both sounding and looking).  Any suggestions?
- Any idea where I can get a stock looking cat (I haven't decided yet if I am going to replace it or not, it does have some corrosion on it)?
- Has anyone ever had any luck having a muffler shop remove the original mounting posts/hangers and reweld them on the new pipes?

I am a total originality junkie and that is what I am looking for, the most original looking/sounding exhaust system I can get!  (my wife calls me a hopeless perfectionist!)

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Bill
Bill

2019 Ford F-150 XLT - 4x4
2013 Ford Flex Limited - AWD, EcoBoost
1994 Chevrolet K1500 - Ext Cab, Short Box

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 1980MNT/A

Re: Time to Replace the Exhaust...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:53:56 AM »
Thanks Jeff,

I hadn't checked that website out yet.  I didn't see the exact exhaust that I need specifically on thier site, but I'm going to give them a call and see what they can come up with.

Bill
Bill

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »
There is a transverse muffler system by Pypes 489.00 complete.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
if your intent on replacing the cat (i wouldnt) at least get one of the "free flowing" ones... your car will thank you.
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline 1980MNT/A

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:28 AM »
Thanks for the information guys.  Hammer, it's good to know about the exhaust being exempt as long as it looks original.  That helps out a ton.  I am going to give RARE a call today and see what they can do for me.  I'm going to be in the garage getting the T/A cleaned up for my VERY FIRST car show on Saturday!

Bill
Bill

Offline 1980MNT/A

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:46:32 AM »
Well, after a long time kicking around what I wanted to do with my original exhaust and letting the exhaust leak noises finally get to me, I figured out my plan!

100_3615r

The original rusty exhaust actually came off the car very easy.  I even got the one original exhaust clamp off without the nuts breaking!  I love working on cars that have never seen salt!

After I got the exhaust off, I figured I needed to freshen up the exhaust hangers and brackets.  I media blasted and painted all of them.

IMG00165-20110429-1252r

100_3629r

Since I wanted the new exhaust to look as stock as possible, but have a deeper sound I went with Walker brand replacement intermediate and tail pipes and a Dynomax Ultra Flo™ SS Polished Muffler.  I got all the parts from RockAuto.com and am very impressed with the quality and originality of them all.  I then welded on 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" adapters so the intermediate and tail pipes would fit the new muffler.  After I got the adapters welded on and after much debate, I decided to paint the intermediate and tail pipes.  I have seen this look a few times and really liked it, plus after welding on the adapters, I needed something to seal the welds and seal where the galvanization was burnt off.  I used a silver, high temperature, Rust-Oleum® BBQ & Stove spray paint.  This paint is awesome to use and looks even better!

100_3630r

The installation of the new exhaust, brackets, and hangers went really well.  I used stainless steel exhaust clamps on the muffler to ensure it would last another 31 years!  I think the entire system looks really good!

100_3640r

100_3643r

100_3658r
(Note the two-tone paint scheme on the hanger so I wouldn't have a black band going around my freshly painted exhaust pipe!)

100_3638r

Overall, I am VERY happy with the way this exhaust project turned out.  I love the look of the system and love the sound!  If anyone wants any more details feel free to contact me.

I cut off and saved the original tail pipe hangers from my old exhaust along with the original exhaust clamp (intermediate pipe to muffler) and intermediate pipe to cat flange.  Contact me if you are looking for these!
Bill