Author Topic: Rocker Arm install ( HOW TO )  (Read 1110 times)

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Rocker Arm install ( HOW TO )
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »
Before I show you how I was shown how to install rockers, mine are not stock. if you are using stock rockers you just torque them to 20lbs and your done.
I am using a 1.52 roller tipped rocker with 7/16" BBC studs, stock push rods.
one way to set the lash is to run the nuts down to were they are just barley snug. and run the engine and set the lash of each rocker wile it running. this is way to messy, oil runs every ware .
I will try to show the best I can, how to set the lash with the engine not running.

first you need to find the #1 TDC (top dead center)   pull all the spark plugs out, ( easier to turn )  and turn the crank to bring up the timing mark to zero. then pull the distributor cap off to see if the rotor is on the #1 plug wire. if its on #6  turn the crank one more time bringing it back to zero. and check under the cap to confirm your on #1   If this is a new build make sure both dots on the timing gears are up before the timing cover gos on.

once that is done you can set the lash or install your new rockers on the  #'s  1,2,5,7 intake valve  and #'s 1,3,4,8 exhaust valves.
here is what it will look like for the #1 cylinder @ TDC.
drivers side

pass side

use assembly grease to install all the parts. a cam lube is fine if its a running engine. but on a new build and the motor will be setting for a few months, use assembly grease.  oils will run down off the parts in a few days. put grease on the ball before installing them and I dip the roller tip into a thick gear oil.

to to set the lash you, turn the push rod with your fingers while turning the nut. once you feel the presser on the rod stop (this is zero lash)

once there turn the nut a 1/2 turn to set a positive lash. I put the ratchet on facing south and turn it straight north , 1/2 turn and your done.

now to do the others you need to bring the #6 to TDC  , turn the crank 1 time to bring the timing mark back to zero. now your rotor should be on the #6 plug wire.
repeat the steps above for the #'s 3,4,6,8 intake valves  and  #'s 2,5,6,7 Exhaust valves.
then your done

if you use a poly lock nuts you do this the same except the poly nut will have a allen  set screw on the end that is tightened to the stud to lock it in place.  I used bbc studs and nuts so I can use my stock valve covers. with poly locks you will need a taller cover.  

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:43:52 PM by 4SPEED »
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline LilSki

Re: Rocker Arm install ( HOW TO )
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
Awesome post Doug! You don't know long I searched for the "proper" method when I put mine together.
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline Mongo

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • THREES A CHARM
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:20 AM »
I have similar rockers. Will I need BBC studs or will the stock studs work?
"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:13:22 AM »
Fred you should be fine. just make sure the stud is not tapered so the rocker doent rub into it.  another reason is the nut is bigger. its still a 7/16" tread but the size of it is bigger and covers more of the ball.

77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:58:38 AM »
one more thing to add.  in the pic of the harmonic balancer. this is a good pic of one that will need put in the scrap pile.
see the rubber coming out?   and you see the timing mark isnt on the zero.   the outer ring has moved that much over the last 30+ years.  
I used a height gage  to find the TDC . it measures in .001 to 1"  I rigged it to the block and and put the end in the spark pug hole. when I turned the crank the piston hit the plunger and moves the gage.  I moved the crank back and forth to find it's highest point.  I know its not off much.  but if you pay to have it line honed and balanced, you want your harmonic balancer to dead on to.
I will also check the new one when it comes in the brown truck.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:00:25 AM by 4SPEED »
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED