Author Topic: yet another wiring question on my 78 T/A  (Read 5641 times)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
yet another wiring question on my 78 T/A
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
Ok here's a question is your car a z or k car ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Rick Fox

Re: yet another wiring question on my 78 T/A
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »
I have anther question for the guru's.  Is the large ground strap on the bottom passenger side of the car supposed to run to the transmission?

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
 Sorry, I just noticed your question!  Will I find that info on the VIN?

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
Figured it out.....    4th digit is Z.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 12:16:47 AM »
I have anther question for the guru's.  Is the large ground strap on the bottom passenger side of the car supposed to run to the transmission?

Yes, and since you do have a z car that is the correct harness picture
Eroc

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 12:18:39 AM »
And looking at your pic you have all the wires and I see all your colors
Eroc

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 12:21:09 AM »
Double post
Eroc

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
I’m glad to know I have the correct harness.  Should I remove the harness from the car and separate the wires?  I’m thinking if locate each wire within the harness and run them to the location your diagram indicates it will work.  The whole color thing had me thinking I had the wrong harness, as my color of wire doesn’t match the diagram 100%.  Like I said earlier in this thread “I never claimed to know much about wiring”!!!!  I really appreciate all of your help.  Maybe with a little more we’ll get this thing solved. Lol.  Can you tell much from the picture I posted?  Is there any way you can tell what wire goes where from it?   

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
Eroc

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
Wow!  You have went above and beyond to help me.  I can't thank you enough.  Do you need my address for billing purposes? Lol

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »
haha no, just how we do on here... let me know how it all works out...
Eroc

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »
haha no, just how we do on here... let me know how it all works out...

Update:  I hooked everything up following your instructions and guess what……..It workes properly!  I cannot thank you enough!  I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.  I guess one main problem was the wires going to the alt. field.  Someone had wired what you listed as the coil wire into a fusible link going to the alt.  I removed it and re-routed to the coil.  I noticed now my fuse panel isn’t hot all the time (parts of it are, but not everything).  I also noticed my ignition functions properly now.  Before the key had to be turned back manually, otherwise the starter would not disengage.  Is this a coincidence or was something getting hot and sticking?  Anyway, thank you again.  Give me a few days and I’ll have another problem for you to solve……..

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
Good I'm glad to hear its all working for you!  As for your ignition something could have been getting in a bind from the ign rod to the switch at the bottom of the column..... All there really is in the system..... But some of the fuse panel will remain hot that's normal....
Eroc

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »
I looked the switch and column over and it looks like a pretty simple setup.  I thought it was ironic that the minute I had the wiring correct the ignition started working properly, though I’m definitely not complaining.  While I was snooping around under the dash I found a few more questions I’ll have for you soon.  I’ll snap a few good photo’s and post them up when the time comes.  I have to say for the most part everything is hooked up.  I noticed the radio plugs are still there and the radio bezel hasn’t even been hacked on (actually have the factory radio that still works!)  I’m thinking I may save the interior wiring until I have the body and paint work complete.  I actually worked several years as a body/paint man, so I shouldn’t have to burden you with questions relating to that. 

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »
While we’re on the subject of paint, do you know where I could find a reliable source to observe a 78 hardtop with the SE stripe kit?  My car is not originally a special edition, but it is originally black.  With that said I really want to put the kit on after painting is complete.  I’ve heard there are no confirmed hardtop SE’s in 78, but I’m not sure if that’s correct or not.  I do know I’ve had a hard time finding photos to look at.  My one big question is: are there pinstripes that go on the top of the cab of a hardtop?  I’ve looked at several T-top car’s that have the stripes outlining the tops, but I’m unsure about mine.  Also, have you had any dealings with Phoenix Graphics?  I’m about to order a couple of decal kits from them.  I’m not sure if we’re allowed to talk about a business on here or not.  I’m not trying to start a slanderous thread, but am curious about their product.  If I’m going to spend a substantial amount on “stickers” I want to be sure.  If I need to move this question to another topic forum let me know.