Author Topic: Newbie with 81 Turbo seeking rebuild advice  (Read 1914 times)

Offline theactsofnathan

Newbie with 81 Turbo seeking rebuild advice
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »
After being a frequent visitor, finally signed up cause i'm in a predicament. Have  an original 81 turbo at the shop. Just replaced the turbo, which was not spooling, at a reasonably high cost ($1700), but i'm being told that now the turbo is operating, 2 of the cylinders are losing compression, and are recommending a full rebuild. Was given an estimate for $3500 to do it within the shop with no guarantee or $7500 to have sent-out (not sure about the vendor) guaranteed for 100,000 miles. Bought the car for $3000, and have mostly put money into the body to this point, wondering if it's time to cut my losses and sell as-is (have a buyer lined-up). Love the car, but have a new kid and looking for a house. Price seems excessive, as compared to dropping a small-block crate engine. I'm definitely only an enthusiast, and not very mechanically inclined. Just trying to properly weigh my options by getting advice from the people who know this car the best :)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Newbie with 81 Turbo seeking rebuild advice
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
$3500. isn't too bad for a rebuild but the fact that they won't back their work with a warranty would encourage me to look elsewhere.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:48:41 AM »
Just trying to properly weigh my options by getting advice from the people who know this car the best :)

Then you will want to go to the site that knows all about the 301 Turbo.

www.301garage.com

http://www.301garage.com/forum/

Later
Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette
80 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
80 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline JohnA.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
Been there done it,had my 301T for 4yrs put a few $$$$ into it over that time including a new turbo,then blew a piston late 2013, engine had to be pulled, the estimates I got for a rebuild were similar to the estimates you got,It came down to money for me, buying a used Pontiac 400 motor,refreshing it a bit, a new exhaust system and the install was a few thousand cheaper,it pained me to a degree because I had a 100% stock original Y84 car but then again I`m not selling it so being original doesn`t matter anymore,If being original is crucial re-build it, the turbo cars are becoming more and more rare so if resale down the road is an issue keep that in mind,alot of guys on these forums bash the 301T call it a boat anchor etc,I was content with the way it performed over the 4yrs I had it and it would still be in the car if it didn`t have to be re-built, no your not gonna shred tires,or win races but it is a great cruising motor and not too bad on gas,like Kev said the 301 garage is a great site the guys there helped me numerous times and you can reach out and get the hard to find 301T only parts there,tough decision for sure Do what your finances allow,

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
Scrap the 301 boat anchor.  don't waste your time.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
Depending on how original your car is right now should determine what you should do. If your car is an original, keep it original, if not change it at the end of the day you will probably spend the same. A lot of ppl are scraping the 301, but down the road it will be a cool factor because it's an original.

Offline BluuesMan

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:21:16 PM »
A word of advice.....
Check with your State laws concerning emissions.
I had a "Friend" that wanted to replace the 301T.
I warned him.. I ended up with the motor for the price of helping him pull it. (sold it for $ 300.00)
Colorado Emissions testing facility would not even look at the car due to the incorrect motor.
He still has the car with a expensive 400 that he can't get plates on the car for.
Just a thought....