Author Topic: Adusting side windows  (Read 3701 times)

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
Adusting side windows
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »
Guys ,have you ever heard of  side window adjustment?
The 78 T/A that  I am buying  soon ,had this mentioned in the add . I didnt think there was any  adustment involved in P/W myself .
They prety much seem to bolt in and thats it .
Any one heard of any adjustmens that can be done ?
I know he mentions all soft seals have been replaced. Maybe that is causing some trouble?

If you read the info on the link you will see what I am mentioning

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1978-Pontiac-Trans-AM-Restored-Y88-Gold-Special-Edition-RARE-W0QQAdIdZ58412375

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Adusting side windows
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:54:32 AM »
You can adjust the glass up and down to different levels, tilting it, and moving it in at the base or top etc. If new rubbers are in place then it may need adjusting to match. Can be a bit tricky, like adjusting hood hinges! but a body shop or similar should be able to do it of you cant work it out. Just a series of sliding bolts where the window mech sits in the door shell, plus the 3 felt lined guides along the top of the door inner.

Offline jcurrieta

• Trans am NUT
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
yah i still need to adjust all mine... there is alot of adjustment there.....each window rides on 2 tracks up and down and each one can be a adjusted front or to the back of the car. also there is a window stops at the top of the travel on the track they can be adjusted also to allow the window to close tighter or fit alittle looser.
'80 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car
'81 Trans Am (Y84 recreation) "SOLD"
'96 Trans Am LT1 "SOLD"
'82 Firebird (Trans am clone) "SOLD"
'81 Firebird (1st car) "Wrote off"
'98 Trans Am Ws6 Ram Air "SOLD"

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »
Hey Thanks Guys ,I was a little nervouse that they just bolted in and that was it .
They are brand new glass side windows ,so that explains it .

Offline P-Js_BLKBRRD

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
After putting in new weatherstripping adjusting the windows was a real pain.  Still don't have it exactly right and will have to play with it some more (it hasn't helped that the weatherstripping isn't the best fitting either).  I'm sure there are some directions somewhere that would make the process a little more logical.  But no wind noise (so far) and driving through a rain storm last night didn't let any water in except when stopped at a traffic light.
"BLKBRRD"

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 11:48:24 PM »
What brand did you use, if you don't mind me asking?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline limey

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14:56 AM »
Funny this thread came up, sorry to jump in, but I just put Metro's on my car, they went in perfect but...  The pax window goes up and fits tight, but the drivers window will only go up half way.  I have to open the door to close the window, then really slam the door to get it closed.  I'm scared that the window will shatter.  I guess I'll pull off the inside of the door and start the adjustment..  Looks like the front of the window goes up a little too high, and the rear a little too low. ::)  Do the windows adjust outward and inward? or just up and down in regards to tilt.
79 Heritage Brown, 400 4spd, #'s matching. 1 of 2917.

Offline P-Js_BLKBRRD

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »
What brand did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

To be honest I don't know - I bought the first set from Classic Industries and returned them because the fit was terrible.  Ordered the second set from National Parts Depot and that set fit a little better but still not perfectly.  I didn't see any markings on the inside of either set that identified who the manufacturer was.

While assisiting the bodyshop guy with adjusting the windows I was amazed how much you can move the windows around.  Stops can be adjusted to limit how high either end of the window can go, the angle can be adjusted by several points, and the position can adjusted forward or backward.  It just takes a lot of playing because when you change one adjustment it usually throws another one off.  I'd think that there must be an established sequence somewhere that would help to make the adjustments quicker to dial it in.
"BLKBRRD"

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:14:22 AM »
click the link to get the PDF on how to properly adjust the windows on F bodies
http://www.transamcountry.com/technical/GM_Window_Adjustment_Guide.pdf
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »
Thanks for the document .That may come in handy someday

Offline limey

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the file.  I'm going outside to completely screw up my window alignment ;) ;D

Offline P-Js_BLKBRRD

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »
THANKS...!!!  That will be helpful when the new door panels come in and I take things apart again.
"BLKBRRD"

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
I used that when I "attempted" to adjust my windows. 
It did help in that it pointed out which bolts to loosen to make the adjustments, however with out the blocks its still a lot of guess work.
For sure Metro seals are the only way to go as they fit the best.   The more I open and close the doors and leave the windows rolled up the better everything seams to fit.
Incidently, if anybody knows any tricks when it comes to adjusting the windows, lay it on us.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline limey

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
Well, I spent yesterday afternoon messing with my drivers side window.  I finally got the window adjusted.  The guide rarebird posted sure helped.  Funny, the pax side is fine, it was just the drivers side that was bad.  Doesn't help that my window motors are weak.  I just put the window up, adjusted, closed 20 or 30 times ::) ;D ;D