Author Topic: Worth the time and effort?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Rapp16

Worth the time and effort?
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »
This is my first T/A. I haven't done much besides pull the engine and strip most of the interior. I'm holding on to the car because I got it super cheap and haven'f found another Trans Am in my price range. I'm really just wondering if its worth the time, effort, or money to restore this thing. It was an original 400 c.i. motor with a 4 speed and and t-tops. I haven't dropped the tank to look for the build sheet yet and I'll do my best to post the vin and cowl numbers by this weekend. Any info or input you guys have to offer would be great.
Thanks,
Derek

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:25:21 PM by Rapp16 »
1978 Trans Am - Red Cloth Interior, Black exterior accented by plenty of rust.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi- granny sleeper with a supercharger

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Worth the time and effort?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Well....4 speeds do command a premium over the automatic cars. Add in T-tops and you have a desirable car.

Now, worth the effort? Every car is worth the effort to bring back provided you have enough time and $$$$$$ to devote to the project. From the looks of things you'll need full floor pans - unless you like the Fred Flintstone option, rear quarter skins and some patches up along the rear window channel, patches for the front fenders - behind the wheels, probably door skins, and possibly a cowl. Now that's providing the rear frame rails are still solid.

If you have access to a lift I'd toss it up on one and see exactly what the underside looks like.

Now, even if the frame rails need to be replaced you can get replacement parts from either a parts car or any of the members here who happen to be parting cars. It's just going to take work, welding skills, and time to do it yourself - which will be cheaper than paying someone to do it.

Then you have to consider the rest of the car once you get the rust squared away: Interior, gas & brake lines, fuel tank, rear axle, electrical, etc.
Engine wise, a stock rebuild with machine work costs around $2k in my neck of the woods. I paid over $4k for my 455 build in my Y88 and that was with me supplying a majority of the parts including the block.

So I guess my question to you would be this: Do you think you have the skills (or can learn them) to bring the car back? If your answer is: I'm going to pay someone to do a majority of the work, then I hope you have very deep pockets as its going to take alot of $$$$$ and shop labor to bring it back.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Jolley_Man666

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »
Honestly, it looks like a parts car to me.  I know it's a shame to do that to a 400/4spd but your sounding like your doubting you can do it so why not buy another T/A and swap the engine and tranny over so you can build a nice solid car?  Even though your gonna have to save up to afford another one I think it's a cheaper option than doing all of that sheet metal work unless your a skilled welder
1979 Heritage Brown T/A- 455 Olds Rocket

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »
Even though your gonna have to save up to afford another one I think it's a cheaper option than doing all of that sheet metal work unless your a skilled welder

That's exactly right.. You're often times best off buying a solid car for a bit more up front that saving a thousand or so by buying a rusty one which can add up to a couple thousand in rust repair and metal work.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »
I don't really doubt myself. While young, I do have most skills necessary and what I don't know I have plenty of people around me willing to teach me. I definitely am not going to be able to afford to pay someone for a restoration as an 18 year old kid headed to college next fall. I feel that this car is somewhat rare with the options that it had but a I may be wrong. I'm not looking to finish this thing over night by any means. There's something about this car that just won't let me get rid of it. My gameplan currently is to restore this car as slowly as it takes to do it right and it may be that I end up using a solid parts car for sheet metal parts etc. I was really just seeing what experiences the members had with this kind of restoration and if the car was truly worth bringing back to life.

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »
Oh and I also forgot to mention that the owner before me had blown the original engine and the second 400 that was put in it is now stripped to the block in my garage. When I bought the car the motor was supposed to turn over and start in theory but I found nothing but a few drops of water in the oil pan. Once the intake manifold and valley pan were taken off I realized that the motor was completely rusted through. I have another 400 from a '69 Grand Prix that ran when it was pulled.  I can buy it at any time for $250 but I've been holding off because I've been trying to figure out where I'm going to go with this car.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
I like to think all these cars are worth the effort to restore. If you aren't on a time restraint, then that's good for getting it done right. If you take your time, and do it right then that's all anyone can ask of you. Do you have a garage to work on it in? That's pretty key too, that way you can take a lot of it apart without worrying about anything getting ruined in the process.

As far as the motor is concerned, maybe having a motor that you know runs might help your morale when you undertake the project, so it might be worth getting it.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
I do have a garage at home and I can use the lift at my high school also. I'm thinking this car is going to need a frame off if it's going to be resurrected so the lift will come in handy.

Offline MadMax

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »
I'm new to the forum but feel the need to respond. I'm currently restoring a car that started in about the same condition as this one. I have found it to be exactly what i was looking for. I'm in my 30's and have a full time job with discretionary income. I have invested several thousand dollars into the car and figure it will cost at least 10k to complete. If your goal is to build a "Show Car" then i would pass on this one. If your goal if to have a project that you can learn from and you have the income and tools then go for it.

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
there are some on here that could handle that project...i am not one of them
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline fixitrht

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »
id say bring it home and start on it, if you do not complete it you could still part it out later. If you were my age id say its a parts car. But for you, 18 and have the world by the jewels .... play with it while you have time

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »
I love rebuilding this type of rot.  its the challenge and self accomplishment of the work you put into it.

its just sheet metal.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
Do it

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:33 AM »
doing a restoration on any car is rewarding in its own right. If one possesses the skills and the ability to learn what skills will be needed then you have the hardest part of the progect already in hand. keep in mind you will find setbacks and obsticles on these cars as not everything is available in the aftermarket market like door shells,hoods, radiator supports, dash pads are just a few items but there are good donor parts available with the efforts of part searching. it will take time and money and usually lots of money depending on the shape a car is in from the point of taking on the progect. I have seen a lot worse cases than the one you have aquired and they turn out great...as mentioned a true 4 speed car is highly revered and then add t-tops makes it even more. so the question one must ask themselves is do I want to dedicate myself into this one ( which you must have already had that thought since you bought the car).... congradulations on your start of an adventure that will bring you a lot of self pride when you complete it.   good choice by the way
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Jolley_Man666

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 02:38:41 PM »
Another option would be to just set this car aside and buy another car that needs less work so you can get some experience.  I know being 18 myself that I wouldn't be able to have a car like that as my first project because even when I bought mine I didn't think I was gonna be able to do it and I still have my doubts. I know this would be a long expensive project so what I would suggest is you price out some parts and see how expensive everything really is because your going to have to replace A LOT of parts on that car.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:40:21 PM by Jolley_Man666 »
1979 Heritage Brown T/A- 455 Olds Rocket