Author Topic: Trying to find the original owner of my 78 T/A  (Read 4641 times)

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
Trying to find the original owner of my 78 T/A
« on: January 12, 2020, 06:01:28 PM »
Just a stab in the dark wondering if anyone on Hitman that use to own or know someone that use to own it...Its a 1978 Martinique blue Lt blue deluxe interior W72,Four speed ,WS6,A/C,TILT,Rear defogger,AM/FM STEREO. Came from Dyer Motor company Inc in  Dyer Tennessee.. So what I was told spend a little time in Tennessee major its life in Kentucky while it was in Kentucky major of that time in a Barn... Sold to a guy in Wisconsin roughly 2006.. Then I purchased it in summer of 2006.. Any leads would be Great!

Offline wateridw

Re: Trying to find the original owner of my 78 T/A
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »
Hope you find him soon. Good luck!

Offline tenerife92

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »
Were you able to find the owner?

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 07:14:43 AM »
No

Offline Maxthe222

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:17:25 AM »
Did you try dig up the dealership details? Did you contact the DMV from the town it was sold in for information? Here's a post I made a long while ago about hunting previous owners, this is in regards to another post on a different site so some things may not be applicable. The jist of it is the same, '75 T/A = '78 Marty T/A. Did you press the previous owner for information where he got it from? Did you run VIN checks on the car and see if anything comes up from the '90's? You will find him if you really try to look for him.

Next suggestion, now I don't know what the legislation is in Cali, but in Texas, I called a DMV and asked about any information they may have had about my car. They made me fill out something I think was called a Freedom of Information form. I filled in the form and gave them the licence plate number for the car (which hadn't been in use since 1997) and the VIN. Two weeks later, a type-writer written document with... get this...
The previous two owners AND their contact information as well as addresses. I'm not kidding. You pay a fee and they give it to you. Depends on the criteria of the form, there were a few reasons to tick on the paper, but I don't know what the form is like in Cali. I believe that only works up to a certain point though, that may have only been for cars older than 20 years old etc... I called the DMV twice, the first woman who answered the phone was EXTREMELY arrogant and unhelpful. The second person was this old guy who used to have a T/A, so yada yada yada a few minutes of talking later, he was were happy to help. Good to have friends in high places, really depends if the person gets paid enough to care.

The next thing is that the car was sold recently. (Last ten years) Now that's good, because if any registration was transferred, it's on a computer database, not a 30 year old type written document. So the information is there.

'87 L98 GTA
'79 Y84 WS6 T/A
'79 W72 WS6 F/A
'78 WS6 L80 T/A
'78 W50 L80 FRMLA
'71 FRMLA 400/4-Spd

Offline 78T/AKID

• W72, 4SPD, WS6 49K
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:48:42 AM »
I tried the DMW that dont have that info anymore......

Here's a pic of the dealership in Dwyer Indiana

Offline Maxthe222

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 09:29:33 AM »
Did you try contact anyone from that dealership? That photo looks recent. They may have kept copies or even photos of the car. What DMV did you try? The local one or the one from that state? 2006 wasn't that long ago they should have transfer documents for the car, especially if the title needs to be repaired, they normally keep a backup of how the car was imported into state. Work backwards, if there is a possible lead, take it. If there is another state with another DMV call them. Don't call once and give up, keep trying different people they will come up with different information. Takes hours and days, but I spent months on my VSE Fire Am and almost made a complete timeline of almost a dozen plus owners, found both the engine and transmission from the car from two different people, old title paperwork, even photos.
'87 L98 GTA
'79 Y84 WS6 T/A
'79 W72 WS6 F/A
'78 WS6 L80 T/A
'78 W50 L80 FRMLA
'71 FRMLA 400/4-Spd