Author Topic: Which camshaft to use?????  (Read 599 times)

Offline resutton6236

Which camshaft to use?????
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »
Hi guys, I have a 78 TA with a 400 pontiac and getting ready to do some small upgrades to the engine. Want to put a little performance camshaft and intake and maybe some headers just to give it a few more hp. The block has been bored .060 over, the heads are the 6X-8 heads (rebuilt). The transmission is the TH350 (rebuilt). The gear ratio is 3:23.

So i was wandering what would be a good camshaft to give me a little sound (rumble) nothing to radical that might also increase horsepower??

Any thoughts

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: Which camshaft to use?????
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:22:50 AM »
Keep the factory intake, I got an Edelbrock performer last year brand new and I am now trying to get my original manifold restored because the performer runners don't line up very well and are smaller than the factory egr manifold. Pontiac made them right the first time and is why there is not much to pick from for aftermarket stock style manifolds. Bigger manifolds will create clearance problems with the shaker hood.

The previous "how to build max performance Pontiac motor" book by Jim Hand explains cams pretty well. If you can get a copy of that out of print book it will help you wonders.

Use Google to search this forum, the Pontiac street performance forum and trans am country forum to get some hints on cams. Its asked almost monthly, commonly with 6x-8 heads.

I have no opinion yet on the can I picked ( I haven't finished building the motor). Here's a list of cams off top of my head that are popular... Xe262 (modern grind for low compression), summit middle cam, Crower 60918, or even the stock 068 HO cam.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
Re: Which camshaft to use?????
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »
Save yourself some headaches and put a roller cam in it. Call and talk with Jerry at Schneider Cams he'll set you up.