Author Topic: DOOR SPEAKERS  (Read 15716 times)

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
Re: DOOR SPEAKERS
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
I don't want to hear anything while driving my TA, radio off, gf at home where it's pie hole is quiet, the windows down, PRICELESS!!!

i agree...ac off too...
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »

Something like this???
The guy on TAC makes them and they look just like this

Wow! I never knew those existed! I will look into them... They look great

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »
i like the kick panel idea, cleaner neater and saving your kicka** door panels, listen to Tin
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
^ that is nice.
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline 2ndchildhood

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »
I bought the kick panels from the guy on TAC.  They work great!!!  Just a little trimming to get them to fit just right but I put 6.5 Fosgates in there with one inch tweeters.  Awesome sound with the 6x8 Fosgates in the back deck and a 10" Fosgate T1 in the trunk.  I can now hear the radio just fine over the 3" pipes.
You can never have too many cars

78 Formula
02 CETA

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
I bought the kick panels from the guy on TAC.  They work great!!!  Just a little trimming to get them to fit just right but I put 6.5 Fosgates in there with one inch tweeters.  Awesome sound with the 6x8 Fosgates in the back deck and a 10" Fosgate T1 in the trunk.  I can now hear the radio just fine over the 3" pipes.
He is starting to build them again in the spring, so that should be soon.  I am getting some for sure
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
I was wondering when you install speakers in the kick panel.....do you kick them? It seem like a dangerous area for speakers.

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
 I was wondering when you install speakers in the kick panel.....do you kick them? It seem like a dangerous area for speakers.
well, you can kick them if you want but i wouldnt suggest that. Just kidding, i doubt you will be kicking them ever as the kick panel figure of speech) is on your outer side
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »

Something like this???
The guy on TAC makes them and they look just like this

THOSE are AWESOME!. Who has em, where do I find em, and how much do they cost?

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
Do a search on TAC
Dave
_______

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
that photo is a stock photo from QLogic.  The guy that makes them in named the "76camaroguy"  read the above thread I posted or google this: "76camaroguy kick panel speaker"  this kickpanel speaker thing seems like an overrated pain in the a**. Although they do look great I think I will stick with the door panel idea....so if anyone has any pics of theirs I would like to see it.......

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 08:37:48 PM »
that photo is a stock photo from QLogic.  The guy that makes them in named the "76camaroguy"  read the above thread I posted or google this: "76camaroguy kick panel speaker"  this kickpanel speaker thing seems like an overrated pain in the a**. Although they do look great I think I will stick with the door panel idea....so if anyone has any pics of theirs I would like to see it.......
Yeah it's tough doing a little trimming and putting them in place, be alot more work chopping into a good stock door panel.
Dave
_______

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Dave--

I just got back on this forum after a two year absence and saw your post...I've got an identical issue with my '73 T/A which I'm trying to get ready for the Bandit Run in May.

The previous owner cut the door panels and installed Sony speakers...I really wish he'd never done so.  The challenge with the original lower door panels is the map pockets in the front (which prevent a clean install) and placing them farther back where they are on my car (see photo)

causes interference with the seats (plus the seats block the majority of the sound).  I purchased Year One ABS door panels but they require HEAVY modification to fit and the speaker extension is too small to accomodate the oversized grills on my new 6.5" Bostons.  I'm not comfortable with the modifications necessary and I've since located a set of nice, used original lower door panels and plan on going back to stock.

I'm also looking into the kick panel solution but am concerned about encroachment into the front driver/passenger foot space and have not yet seen any photos for panels made specifically for the second gens--logic dictates that the emergency brake pedal would cause major interference.

Another option is to install enclosed speakers in the floor of the back seat.  I did this on my '76 and am now considering it for the '73...the pluses are good sound and mobility (you can easily unhook the speakers and remove them) but they also eliminate using the backseat passenger floor when in use.  Just a thought.

Good luck (and if you come up with any slick solutions, be sure to post).

Best,

Tinman
"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
Yeah, I have the basic standard door panel so I won't have the problems you do. I think the kick panel thing is good in theory , but I believe that there is more fabrication than basic trimming. I believe there is concern with the air vents behind the kick panel and also a space concern with the emergency brake.  I have not seen a good pick of the kick panel speaker in a 78. My jeep and my saturn vue both have door speakers and those are stock installs. It just seams to be the most logical. Anything under the dash in these cars is a big pain. But again I have the basic door panels they are readily avail at minimum cost. I just want an install where I don't need to carve the door it self. I made up my mind to do the door speakers so if anyone has pics in a standard door panel I would appreciate it. I wonder if anyone has put tweeters in the pillars....  ::)