Author Topic: DOOR SPEAKERS  (Read 15719 times)

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
Re: DOOR SPEAKERS
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »
Furkin Sweet, and even sweeter speakers man. did you make that enclosure they are sitting in or what? I will post some custom kick speaker pods that my car came with from the previous owner. I love them but I do accidentally kick them from time to time. I would prefer your style setup but that will have to wait for a later date. I am young and dont prefer living "original" or in the past. Front door speakers are great and in my mind a MUST. Respect for looking and finding what you wanted. Also what speaker models specifically? I can tell  they are Sound Stream, (secretly plotting to get some soon) wife will kill me once see notices though.
Thanks! They are sound stream speakers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002W81YI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
speaker enclosures are from 3d logic
http://www.amazon.com/LOGICS-UNIVERSAL-SPEAKER-PODS-ENCLOSURES/dp/B003CNDPUE
i went with this stereo....does not play cd's only ipod or usb http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8ATMW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
also have an alpine amp
i am very happy with the whole set up... i was blasting it today! I just have everything temporary hooked up for now

do your research....i have not heard anything but good things on the speakers and the stereo, and its all budget friendly :)

Offline David Green

• Sometimes I like to do things a little different.
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »
Here is what I did with my door panels.  They are fiberglass and sound incredible.

1977 Trans Am

Offline stealthninja

• just need to finish one more thing
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
I so want to copy that setup to the TEE and I will leave the kick speakers there too. how hard was it to do the fiberglass work?

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
Here is what I did with my door panels.  They are fiberglass and sound incredible.
wish I had your patience and talent.. lt looks incredible. did you have to do any fabrication to the door itself?

Offline David Green

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
To answer you both,  this door was a great  to start with.  The lower door panel was a good base to build off of.  I cut a ring to mount the 6.5" speaker into out of 3/4" MDF and screwed it into the plastic door panel using the long screws to angle the speaker where I wanted it to point.  I then stretched fleece material over the speaker ring and secured it to the back of the panel with superglue a little at a time stretching it tight as i went.  Then when the fleece is tight, mix the fiberglass resin and coat the fleece thouroughly letting it soak the fleece especially onto the speaker ring.  Once this cures it will be hard and you can start laying fiberglass cloth into the build out and coating with resin until you get it about 1/4" thick all over the build out.  once you have that complete I mixed more resin after cutting the cloth from the speaker opening and poured it into the opening and rolled the panel around coating the inside of the buildout with resin and letting it harden.  After this cures try pressing on the build out and see if it is stiff enough not to bend and add cloth and resin to harden it up more.  Then it just goes to sanding and smoothing the surface to where it needs to be to either paint or cover the panel. 

I like doing this kind of work, very rewarding to build something from nothing.  Try it you may like it too.
1977 Trans Am

Offline David Green

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »

1977 Trans Am

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »
^^^^^thats custom! great job!