« on: December 31, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »
---
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:13:50 PM by Hyper »

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
Re: Brake light problem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
No..there's not a fuse for that.

How are the turn signals? They work on the same wires as the brakes. If your driver side turn signal doesn't work either, then I'd suspect a bad connection for the wires going to that side.
Steve F.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
Check the grounds in the trunk.  There's one on each side....I think by the latch.

Offline Helter80

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »
also try taking out the bulbs and make sure there is no gunk buildup in the bulb sockets. i had this  problem on my 79, after i cleaned out the gunk, the light worked properly
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »
In thinking about it....I don't think the trunk grounds would impact your problem.  The rear tail lights use the same ground and if those work, your bulb ground should be OK for the brake lights to work.  Check the yellow wire for current when the brake pedal is depressed.  Depressing the brake pedal causes both the brake lights on both sides to illuminate.  In your case, the passenger side works, so the brake pedal switch is good.  The green wire on the passenger side is getting current....that leaves the yellow wire.  So, check the yellow wire for integrity....that wire travels from under the dash at the steering column...under the drivers side kick panel, through the drivers side wire tray under the sill plate...and back into the trunk.  You could disconnect the trunk harness and check the yellow wire for current.  That might help you isolate the problem.

As as Helter80 said, check the bulb sockets...but it's unlikely that both have the same problem in the same circuit.  There is a splice in that yellow wire just before it spits from one feed wire to two wires, one for each brake light.  You might check that splice for integrity.

Offline t/a4.915

• I come alive when I put it in drive.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »
i think the car is just mad at you for have standard firebird lights on a T/A ;D just kidding. those bulbs are double filaments, i believe. maybe the brake/turn signal filaments are burnt out?

Mike
1980 Trans Am NA 301 #s matching

Offline 72StreetBird

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:35:46 AM »
If the front and rear turn signals on one side don't work I suspect the turn signal switch. Could possibly be the turn signal flasher if it is a three wire flasher.
Harry 72 Firebird, 78 Trans Am W72 WS6
PRO Edelbrock Fastest Street Car Series 15 second index winner 2003, 2004 Cordova, Il

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »
as streetbird states , more than likely its the flasher causing the problem, if still no flash on front or rear check bulbs front and rear. I would do that before removing the steering wheel for turn signal switch
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
I missed where the turn signals weren't working.  All I thought was his drivers side brake lights were out....passenger side works. 

Offline webbel

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
similar problem on mine the indicators worked both sides but only drivers side brake light worked.problem was the assembly in the assembly behind the stering wheel .replaced that and all is ok................... now i,ve orderd the c.d. from here so hopefully that will help resolve any other problems i find  ;D